Thread: Restroom stall size for power chair?

Restroom stall size for power chair?

I have an interesting situation. I'm a t6 complete para, architect. Being in a chair gives me a unique perspective on building accessibility. I am designing a church right now, and was told, for the first time, that there needs to be a stall in the restroom that can accommodate a power chair. To be honest, though I've only been injured almost 3 years, I haven't really thought about how much more space a power chair would need. My office has always gone by the ADA guidelines and put in the standard 5' x 5' accessible stall. So my question is how much room do you guys using power chairs need? Do you need to turn all the way around, or do you just pull straight in and out? If the stall was still 5' wide, would making it 6' long give you enough room, etc.? Thanks

Would this question better in the housing forum?

I would think that the ADA standard was developed with both manual and pwr chairs in mind. Bear in mind the pwr chair is usually narrower because the wheels don't project and no pushrims. Pwr chairs in most instances will have longer wheel bases making the turning radius larger, however, for most purposes the chair user does not pivot in the stall, they pull in forward and back out maybe partially pivoting to lock/unlock door. I assume there is no room for a separate, unisex handicapped bathroom. The ADA standard unisex bathroom has loads of space for completely turning around, etc.

Recently I had the pleasure of using the gimp stall in a busy location when I was having a mudslide through my colostomy which entailed several visits.
    The door hinged into the stall. There was no way to maneuver my small manual chair to enable closing the damn door!

Ugh I hate that, I've run into stalls like that with my manual chair. I don't understand why any handicap stalls hinge with the door swinging in.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    You might want to call your State Dept of Rehab and ask them.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

5' square is good . a door opening inside must make the size of the stall include the full size of the door. In fact anything inside the space must be excluded from the existing width or length, for instance baby changing stations. I am an incomplete SCI and can stand with assistance and find I can go straight in or parallel the hopper.

I have a tiny bathroom at my home. With my rear wheel Invacare Nutron power chair I can do a 360* in <3.5 feet without the foot rests on it. I installed a pedistal sink to help the space situation. The arm rests go right under the rim of the sink. The thing is in your home you can do many things that do not necessarily fully meet ADA, that is written for many different possibilities sizes both for manual chairs and power driven. In public buildings and spaces, the law does require strict adherence to the ADA.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Square is better so 6' would need to be by 6'. Otherwise limit is 5'. Sliding door also to not eat in or swing out.

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publi...ccess-premises

In your jurisdiction common law may require ADA conformance even if not codified by local regs.

In AU unisex accessible toilet counts as both M & F so may take less space than separate ones. You must provide unisex accessible at the minimum so assistance can be provided where required.
    Last edited by zagam; 12-08-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: common law

In the US and as I read it in AU as well the "guidelines" are the minimum standards that any building open to the public must follow. There is no options allowed to these minimum standards whether codified by local law or the representative of some diety. I say that because the clergy are a major offender using their "holy" position as an arguing point. Unfortunately too many people do not seem to be able to grasp the word "MINIMUM" ! You can build a public toileting stall as large as one wants and this can even be legislated by local ordinances but they cannot be legislated to less than the "MINIMUM" Standard.

There is mo allowance for any jurisdiction to void any part of the ADA. Since it is a signed law compliance after the original signed into law date, cannot be avoided. It is the LAW of the land, and noncompliance is a Federal criminal law! Very few folks fully realize this.
    Last edited by Bob Sullivan; 01-06-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: clarify a necessary point.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Recently I had the pleasure of using the gimp stall in a busy location when I was having a mudslide through my colostomy which entailed several visits.
    The door hinged into the stall. There was no way to maneuver my small manual chair to enable closing the damn door!
    Well, I revisited this bathroom. The stall door was ajar and beckoned me to enter, but upon inspection I see that it can be pulled out of the stall as well; once handled in that way, one can then close it after entry but it is difficult to pull it closed once in the stall!