Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please give me exercise advice

Please give me exercise advice

I am in my mid-60, complete SCI L1 level. I am on partial bedrest due to a pressure sore.

What exercises can I do in bed to build upper body strength - triceps, biceps, pecs, abs.

I have some free weights.

My wife has just threatened me that if I don't VERY QUICKLY start doing transfers more easily and independently, she's leaving.

Maybe there's a book or a website or something???

I am sorry to hear of your situation. If your bed sits up with weights, some theraband and some straps you should be able to do arm curls, tricep extensions, push ups both prone and supine, shoulder shrugs stretching and your own range of motion and I'm sure many more. Be creative, get some protein in your diet and work at it.

I am sure others will chime in with more suggestions. Best of luck to you.
    ^^(A)^^

I think you'd be better off without your wife. I don't say something like that lightly either. Its really borderline on abuse what you've said about her.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Can you sit on side of bed without holding onto anything and have feet on floor? here do you want to do exercise from? Bed? Wheelchair? Couch? Somewhere else?

I would need to do them lying on my back in bed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lying_triceps_extensions

triceps #1 useful transfer muscle. Happy gunning.

Dude - move!
    Move anything, just do it.
    And stop eating as much - just do it.
    I've lost 55lbs once & 70 another time.
    Your life depends on it.

Hey John, Sorry to hear you're laid up. Thera bands and cords would make for a great workout. You can tie them off any where for different angles and different muscle groups. Hooks can be screwed into the wall and ceiling for them. Edge of the headboard wherever you can tie them. If you are using a trapeze over the bed for transfers, do pull up with hands facing and away to work the various arm musclesWhile laying on stomach, do pushups with hands placed in different positions.

Since you're laying down, use the time to figure out ways to maximize your potential while there. The main thing to remember is you have to heal that butt or it'll just get worse. Too many horror stories to recount the ramifications if you don't. Steve is right on as far as eating and calories so cut down as much as you can.

Your wife sounds like she's getting a little burned out from caregaiving. Get strong, lose weight and learn to do proper transfers. Being an L/1, you have the capability of being 100% independent. Good luck, stay positive it will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Dude - move!
    Move anything, just do it.
    And stop eating as much - just do it.
    I've lost 55lbs once & 70 another time.
    Your life depends on it.

What he said.
    been there done that. Went from size 38 bib overalls that I couldn't button the side buttons to sliding out of 34 jeans when I transferred. Took 5 months. Moved constantly. When I was on my stomach I did push ups. Couldn't do one the first day. When I was on my back I would do the same push up movement. Then moved them any and every way I could think of, day and nite. What else have you got to do? Ate one egg and toast for breakfast, one ham sandwich- four pieces of ham sliced so thin you could read through them and bread. Lots and lots and lots of water. Get use to being hungry.

Stretching - even if needed to use arms to do it. Rolling. gradually extend arms farther away from body while trying to roll. Stretch knees uup toward chest even if need use arms. Sit-up even if cannot sit all the way up. Try sit on side of bed and just rotate upper body left to right - even if need use arms. Do not think it is negative using arms to assist. If can get things moving you may be able to eventually do it without assist of arms. Trying doing any exercise with your eyes closed. Closing eyes will force your body to work without assist of eye input to brain.