Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handicap placard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Handicap placard

How tired are we with placcard abuse? I am frankly sick of it. In Miami, you will hardly ever see a wheelchair get off on the spaces reserved for vans, it is always this perky, seemingly perfectly healthy person, or a fat one eating ice cream.

I think we should be heard, the ideas are not easy. But here is one.

Would it be possible to unite 20, 30, 50 of us in wheelchairs in at least three or four major cities with a message to DO AWAY with handicapped parking spaces because the abuse is so rampant it provides no benefit to us? The authorities do nothing to stop the abuse, so lets even the playing field, no handicap placcards or parking spots.

the idea obviously is not to do away with the spots, it is to catch the attention of a few media outlets and bring the issue to the forefront.

Whether it is a good idea or not, I am not sure, but it is better than doing nothing.

Can we do this?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Do away with HP spots? Probably not a good idea. They might take it seriously and then we would really be screwed. I know it's a bigger problem in Fla than a lot of other places as you say from personal experience. I think a lot of people permanently borrow grandmas HP placard and that sort of thing is rampant. I don't really know what the solution is other than for law enforcement to really start running numbers on HP placards and make sure they are valid.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Lets change the message then, but we should do something.

Requirements for handicapped spaces is covered under Federal law (ADA), but implementation and enforcement is under state/local jurisdiction. Advocacy to change eligibility for placards/plates can take place at the level of your state legislature/regulators,and enforcement at the local/county/municipal level.

(KLD)

There is this idea:

Name:  10491236_10154420746545094_2336020413284411972_n.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  62.7 KB
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

It's a definite problem here in FL, it's rare to find one empty...add to that the fact that alot of the time there are not enough spots allocated. My local Walmart has 10, 4 of those are for vans...(though keep in mind that not all of us have van's, but still use wheelchairs) On the other side of the coin is Bass Pro Shops, never seen so many spots for HC parking...I'm guessing around 25-30. I've always been able to park there. Walmart, if one doesn't open up in the 5 min I spend driving around, then I call it quits and go another day.
    The answer...don't know. But sometimes I think that it's way to easy for people to grab the hang tag to use in another car...I'd love to see Florida require the HC plates for parking, it sure would make it harder for those that want to steal gramma's tag to use our spots.

Nonoise: Love the photo !!!

Not everyone disabled owns their own car, or always travels in their car. I have disabled plates on my van, but I also keep my placard in my cushion cover because I travel in other peoples vehicles probably 5x as often as my own right now.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

There are a number of problems and solutions seem impossible to implement.

1. Physicians freely sign off on HC parking applications even when they have relatively reasonable and objective criteria that their patients do not meet. They do not want to alienate "customers."

2. The required number of spaces for ADA compliance was established years ago with no consideration of the current increasing number of aging related mobility disabilities.

3. In many parking lots there are very few parking places that are close to entrances.

4. Enforcement is complicated and passed over because of parking related ordinances that vary in local governments. Actually enforcement can be a money making enterprise if fines are high enough.

I could go on, but the point is that solutions are difficult.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I agree with your points SCI, but the case in Florida and many other places is that too many times people seemingly healthy with no perceptible dissablity ride the cars, not even that many older people. Unless we assume that 95% of the dissabilities are hidden, and maybe 3 out of a hundred are wheelchair users, then the problem is that people are getting their hands on too many placcards, and most importantly, the authorities are not enforcing or even paying attention to the problem. The problem has to reach the media for something to happen. We want strict punishment to abusers, a strategy to catch them, make it easy for us to report them and some limited resources to follow up, their fines would go up substantially.

It all starts with getting media attention, just like the VA did.