Thread: Weight question

Weight question

I've never been a 'big' guy, not skinny but I guess lean you would say. That goes for pre and post injury. I know, lucky me, eh?
    So about a month ago a buddy of mine I haven't seen in six months asked if I'd lost weight. Didn't think much of it other than maybe my quadbelly not showing as much that day. Then last week one of my caregivers comments on some of my clothes being a bit loose. And this morning my wife said much the same.
    That had me wondering. So when I went down this afternoon I had her grab my weight. I'm not quite sure how much the sling weighs but I clocked in at 119.6lbs. I'm 5'8" and usually hover around 122-121, don't really check my weight regularly.
    Now I honestly can't think of anything that has changed drastically regarding my eating habits. I've had a problem with a lack of appetite since my injury. Getting enough food into me can be a struggle. But that's not anything new.
    So I guess my question would be if I should even be concerned about the weight loss. Or just go with it and count myself lucky I don't have the opposite problem. Maybe just start counting calories again to make sure I am getting enough?
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

A small difference like you reported should not be a concern. I can lose almost that much emptying my leg bag. (seriously) And I cannot imagine that small a weight loss would affect how your clothes fit. If you have lost a couple of pounds it could be from an increase in activity since hopefully where you live in Canada is thawed out and you can spend some time outdoors. Consider yourself lucky. Excess weight is a major problem for many SCIs.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I'd definitely keep an eye on it, though. Shall I send you some beer? Cheese? Brats? Lol

Thanks for the input. Watch it I will. And gratefully decline on the beer, cheese and brats offer, no intention on wrecking my guts And concerning the thawing in Canada, winter is fast approaching. There was snow one province to the west of me today.
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Honestly 119.6 lbs at 5'8" is very light
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educ...MI/bmicalc.htm
    This is a BMI table - according to it you are on the border/cusp of being underweight.

Whenever my patients lose weight I get lab work for a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and albumin and pre albumin which are liver function tests that look at the protein stores and are markers for nutrition. ALSO good to get a regular CBC with differential

pbr

Thanks SCI nurse. Yeah I know I'm a bit too light, definitly will keep a better eye on it for a while. And I'll keep the bloodwork in mind for the next time I visit my doc.