Thread: Ice Bucket of Coincidence...or two dudes journeys.

Ice Bucket of Coincidence...or two dudes journeys.

Hey, how great is this Ice Bucket Challenge for people suffering ALS?.

I've known about ALS for a while now as I've been following the progress of guitarist Jason Becker...doubly so because when Jason was diagnosed I could not help but stop in my tracks at the coincidental nature of the universe.
    Just as my Becker's Muscular Dystrophy began making its presence felt and I knew my life was about to take on some changes I heard about Jason Becker the fine American guitarist who contracted ALS just prior to the dream gig of playing with David Lee Roth. Being into music and playing a lot of guitar myself (to the point I was getting head hunted by other bands locally) I've sort of felt a strong connection with Jason's story.

At the time I thought is the very universe fucking with me or what?...I have Beckers Muscular Dystrophy, Jason Becker has ALS....you are all going big deal. ok, well turns out ALS is within the range of disorders the the MDA of America has a benefit/telethon thing every year...run by jerry lewis...who YESTERDAY got awarded an Order of Australia for his work for Muscular Dystrophy.

Ok, maybe its all coincidence and well really it all is....but for some reason i feel some heavy hitters are out there helping us with these stupid neuromuscular disorders...it heartens me greatly when i check facebook and someone i know is ice bucketing themselves, they likely haven't even made the connection they are in fact doing it to help me!.

WOW, just wow!!

p.s. On another thing unrelated, Then I see this thing about Sammy Hagar having a sly dig at EVH for not doing the ice bucket thing....well, I already knew that Ed together with Jason had kicked off the MDA's charity drive years ago AND now its come from Jason that Ed helped Jason out in a big way when he was first diagnosed...Jason like me has pushed back against expectation, Jason a good 20 years past his expected age and me I only went into a chair at 40....the power of the mind and the universe people believe it!.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

ALS is a vicious disease, in all my years as a voc rehab counselor I only had one ALS client. He was a divorced, cable company tech guy who 1st showed up driving a Corvette and complaining of trouble turning the key. We bought a device to increase his leverage to turn the key and did a driver eval which resulted in hand controls. As the disease progressed we redesigned his work area and when he needed a pwr chair we purchased a used van w lift. By this time he had married a coworker at the cable company and she drove him to work daily. Because he was such a valued employee the company welcomed all the accommodations. He continued to work until he encountered respiratory and swallowing issues. He died about 3 months after leaving work. Every time I see an ice bucket challenge I fondly remember him.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    ALS is a vicious disease, in all my years as a voc rehab counselor I only had one ALS client. He was a divorced, cable company tech guy who 1st showed up driving a Corvette and complaining of trouble turning the key. We bought a device to increase his leverage to turn the key and did a driver eval which resulted in hand controls. As the disease progressed we redesigned his work area and when he needed a pwr chair we purchased a used van w lift. By this time he had married a coworker at the cable company and she drove him to work daily. Because he was such a valued employee the company welcomed all the accommodations. He continued to work until he encountered respiratory and swallowing issues. He died about 3 months after leaving work. Every time I see an ice bucket challenge I fondly remember him.
    that is a sad story ancientgimp, but hey he kept up the fight too.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.