Thread: Icord

Icord

From ICORD FB page (August 25):
    ICORD:
    Researchers from the Krassioukov Lab find evidence showing that physical exercise may improve arterial stiffness in people with SCI: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24976366

Me:
    I would focus on finding a cure, high quads can't exercise

ICORD:
    Hi Paalo! There are actually lots of ways most high quads can exercise. For instance, active gripping aids can be used to assist gripping on resistance machines as well as cardio machines. Electrical stimulation/passive cycling exercise are also good ways by which high quads can undertake exercise. If you're ever in our area, come down to our PARC facility and find out more!

Me:
    I can't read the whole paper as it's not open access (sadly), but I have a question: does passive cycling exercise improve arterial stiffness in people with C4 or higher SCI?

Here is the FB page if anybody is interested in the subject: https://www.facebook.com/ICORD.SCI/p..._comment_reply

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Did you see in the abstract where the subjects were motor-complete SCIs from level c2-t5?

High quads might not be able to go to a gym themselves and exercise, but there are plenty of ways that high quads can exercise. Lack of facilities and opportunities to exercise is the bigger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Did you see in the abstract where the subjects were motor-complete SCIs from level c2-t5?

High quads might not be able to go to a gym themselves and exercise, but there are plenty of ways that high quads can exercise. Lack of facilities and opportunities to exercise is the bigger problem.
    Yes, but how many quads above c4 were in the study?, what passive exercise have they done?..etc. Can't see that in the abstract.

And why not making a study like this open access?

Anyway in my opinion they should just focus on finding a cure, we knew already that exercise is good for many things, so we should just do it when we have time and energy..

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post

Dr. Andrei Krassioukov is a clinician-researcher devoted to helping people with SCI maintain their cardiovascular health. Cardiovascular problems are the number one killer for people with SCI. His focus is on a condition commonly known as autonomic dysreflexia (AD), a condition familiar to the majority of individuals with SCI as well as their caregivers. It is characterized as ranging from unpleasant to debilitating episodes of increased arterial blood pressure that can be commonly introduced by very simple stimuli, such as a tight belt or inappropriate wheelchair positioning. Without timely recognition and management the condition can complicate and lead to life-threatening situations. Dr. Krassioukov is the Associate Director of Rehabilitation Research for ICORD. He is also a Professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of British Columbia, and a physician in the Spinal Cord Program at Vancouver Coastal Health's GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre.

Publication Link:
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-30-2014 at 01:38 PM.

I removed personal comments. Paolo please stop with the personal insults.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Yes, but how many quads above c4 were in the study?, what passive exercise have they done?..etc. Can't see that in the abstract.

And why not making a study like this open access?

Anyway in my opinion they should just focus on finding a cure, we knew already that exercise is good for many things, so we should just do it when we have time and energy..

Paolo
    The more research there is supporting the health/preventative benefits of exercise, the more ammunition that doctors, physical therapists, personal trainers etc. have to get insurance companies to pay for access to intensive exercise gyms/equipment. All that stuff is incredibly expensive, and the less that people have to pay out of pocket, the better.