Thread: wheelchair battery range, distance that is

wheelchair battery range, distance that is

How many have ever run out of juice from a full charge with their ZX1, SmartDrive, Emotions, Firefly, and the like? I am most interested in lithium, but I am also interested in the original ZX1 because the lead acid battery setup is rated for five miles. You know what? Five should always cover me. Only once have I asked and great distance out of the SmartDrive, which were at the fairgrounds, so back to the van would have been no big deal if the battery caved, which it did not. I'm asking because I am thinking of another application, and I wonder how small (amp hour) of a battery I could use.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I've had my ZX for three years and feel the present SLA's don't give me the mileage I should get. I only use it to my shop and back; bout 125 feet each way. I just replaced them with another set of Universal batteries and again I feel there shuld be better mileage. The Rhino battery I use on the Powerpod just keeps on going. Three years and they still will do 25 miles at 18mph. I changed the original Universals that were 12vlt 12ah to 12vlt 15ah. I have the 15ah Rhinos on my PP also. The extra ah seems to make a big difference.

Yeah, more is better, I just want to know where the bottom end is to conserve on space, weight and $. I don't think any of these lithiums; wifes bike, my trike, or wheelchair have ever run out of juice. I have had the motor on the trike overheat and cut out once, but that's been solved, oh my, by more amps and voltage.

Can you try your pp batteries on the ZX1 to make sure you don't have a brush problem going on inside the motor(s)?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.