Thread: are pool lifts now required on a cruise ship

are pool lifts now required on a cruise ship

from what ive read cruise ships that serve us ports a required to adhere to ada title III , now that the pool lift requirement is in effect does that mean all ships are required to comply ? i know most of your big lines already do , but i'm going on MSC Divina who is new to the US market and i was told the pools arent accessible ... any thoughts ?

The Access Board has been working on the regulations for cruise ships for the past 8 years, and still have not published the final regulations. Really dragging their feet on this, partially because nearly all the comments/testimony on the regs were given by commercial cruise ship companies, not be PWD. So there are currently no requirements for ships stopping in American ports to provide a pool lift. Even the proposed regulations do not require it, but provide regulations for what the pool lift must look like if they are provided.

http://www.access-board.gov/news/138...senger-vessels

http://www.access-board.gov/guidelin...ion-facilities

(KLD)

I never expect a pool lift unless the ship was built in or after 2010 and caters almost exclusively to Americans. We haven't cruised MSC but my brother and sister in law did for a music cruise and he didn't notice any extra help near the pools. I plan on digging up the Australian and New Zealand accessibilty laws because we just booked a bucket list cruise for January 2016 Down Under and the cruise line uses the "the ADA only applies in the United States" way too often in its brochures and web sites. It is like that gives them a free ride in places like Europe. Sorry but the EU has similiar laws and certain countries like Ireland provide the shore tenders so the lines cannot exclude you from going ashore. But you should be able to find deck plans and whether they have pool lifts online. I always add that to my after cruise reviews.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thank you both, i wish they had a lift but i guess if they dont i cant change it in 3 weeks. but i was asking about the law and regulation . with that said if there isnt any there cant be enforcement !