Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: catheter keeps getting blocked

ok wow, i definitely dont want to get to that point, i am for sure going to get a cysto done once im home but that is a couple weeks still

Irrigate using 60 mls catheter tip syringe with "sterile" water or saline daily and when needed. Drink lots of water.
    Have renal ultrasound and KUB xrays to check for stones.
    Okay to increase size of catheter but don't go to large- 18 fr. ok.
    Do you have crustation? Renacidin instillation might be helpful . I know others suggest Vetricyn but I don't have edxperience but you can search those posts.
    There are some that are using bladder irrigation with antibiotics in them but sediment is thought to be from inflammation of bladder and also possibly prostatic fluid- and of course does get worse with organisms- because they irritate the bladder.
    Irrigation will help prevent build up. Cysto ok- you might have some outpouches(diverticuli) but usually other than seeing inflammation if x-rays negative don't usually pick up much.
    CWO

so what is the best step to take? i do use 60 mls syringes. i have use anything but normal saline to flush my catheter. i have no clue what renacidin or vetricyn are. nor have i ever used antibiotics while flushing either.. if cysto wont be that useful than what will? also i did get a renal ultrasound done and nothing showed up

Get the cysto when you come back to the states! Go and see your regular urologist when you pget back here as well and tell them what has been happening. Also if you can get your records from who is treating you where you are and translated that would help as well. Till then just drink to s of fluids and do what you are doing. There is not much else that can be done till you have gotten that cysto to see if there are any stones there.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

hey
    so i am mpving to india for good at the end of the month. so waiting to come back isnt an optio.

Cysto can see what is going on in bladder- would see stones but so should a KUB x-ray.
    But I would be all they find is chronic inflammation.
    CWO

so then what is my best option? if its not stones then what could be causing this? i had to get my catheter changed again yesterday because of this.

Renacidin- is used as a daily instillation, not an irrigation. Wegenerally consider it for anyone who is clogging catheters requiring excessivecatheter changes (more often than every 2 weeks). You would have to ask your provider about it.
    You can search Vetercyn and read the many posts that describe experience with it. However, I have never seen research verifying its effectiveness and have never ordered.
    CWO

hey quick question,
    catheter is blocked again..4th time within a month..so the question
    will using renacidin on an already blocked catheter help?

Quick answer is no! That helps to prevent. You need to get the cysto to see if there are stones.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009