Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: catheter keeps getting blocked

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhavjain View Post
    so i do my bowel program every other day..and since the last few months have been taking ducolax the morning of my bp. at night i use a mini enema to get going. also i take stool softners everyday
    There is a trick using mini enemas like Enemeez. You need to get them high enough in the rectal vault.

Check out this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...enemeeze+mombo

All the best,
    GJ

Have you tried a larger catheter? And most people who are allergic to things normally don't start off that way. The body develops an intolerance after many uses and suddenly you see a reaction. If the blockage started about the time you started using the silver coated catheters you may be allergic to one of the inert ingredients used to bind the silver. You might try switching to a silicone or silicone coated catheter next time and see if things clear up after a week or so.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

no i just switched to silver coated catheters like last week..this problem started 3 months ago..im going to talk to my doc about larger catheters..meanwhile my problem persists...like chunks of sediment keeps coming out

Does it block during the day, or does it do it when you get into bed in the evening? Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I had the catheter fitted in 2009 and still the best thing I've ever done in my opinion. When I first had it, I could go up to 8 weeks before having it changed. Slowly the time in between changes got shorter and shorter because of blocking. However, it very very rarely blocks whilst I am sitting up, 99% of the time it does it once I'm in bed, I have then got to get the night nurses to come out.However, I'm finding that it's not completely blocking, it's normally a partial block, I haven't had a complete block for quite awhile. I find that once in bed, I start by passing through the penis and I get this feeling that tells you straightaway what's happening. Like you, I also get quite a bit of sediment, normally in the morning.

Before you start worrying too much about whether you have the wrong catheter, my advice would be to get your constipation sorted out because it may be this that is causing the blockages. For the last god knows how many months, probably over a year I have had terrible terrible problems with my bowels. I have my bowels opened in the morning, I have a couple of suppository inserted about 1.5 hours before my carer attends me. It used to be the case that my bowels of work perfectly okay and everything would be basically finished when she came in. That stopped happening quite a long time ago and they got to the case where I absolutely derided bowl mornings, I just knew it was going to take forever, most of the time nothing happened by the time the carer came in. Sometimes we would have a good result, other times it was less than satisfactory. My appointment at the hospital a year ago showed that my bowels were quite impacted, you could actually see the faeces throughout the bowl. The same thing showed up a couple of weeks ago when I went for my yearly checkup. So I started taking something called Laxido last week. I take two sachets in the a small amount of barley water twice a day, once in the morning, then again in the evening before bed. This stuff has really started doing what it's supposed to do, I'm now shiting Like a newborn baby, having fantastic results each time I have my bowels opened which is every other day. Hopefully I'm starting to clear myself out and time will tell whether it improves the reliability of my suprapubic catheter.

well my bowel isnt as bad as yours. i usually do get movement when i do my bp. there will be that odd day when i dont. i was impacted in january but that was all sorted out. my bp takes about 30-45 mins, and usually never have accidents.
    regarding my catheter getting blocked. it doesnt matter wether im sitting or laying down i have sediment flow either way, and get blocked both while sleeping and sittingg. moreso during the day luckily. most times i can flush my catheter and everything is fine after. but that 1 day it gets blocked so badly that i cant flush it, have to change it

ok so catheter was draining nicely, when suddenly got blocked again. tried flushing but couldnt. meanwhile i kept leaking from the urethra. tried flushing again, when we noticed midway the catheter was ballooning up. thats wheres the block was. after pushing and squeezing we were aable to flushh it. we were lucky seeing as it was sunday, i couldnt get it touch with my nurse either(who luckily comes over asap whenever i call her). this is getting bad, i dont even know what to tell my doc, i think he thinks i am exaggerating, plus i have tried a lot of anti biotics already. and last time my urine culture came clean i dont know how

Should have gone to ER and hVe them call your urologist on call.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Hello,

If you are symptom free, you should discontinue the antibiotics. Most foley / sp users eventually become colonized and you only need to treat when symptomatic (Fever, chills, foul smelling urine, spasm increase).

I would echo other suggestions here especially, drinking 3 liters/day as priority one.

I would also suggest 500mg of Vitimin C, 2 - 4 times / day. I take 1000 (500mgx2 ) works for me at least.

I have never heard of anyone being put under for a cysto. Just freezing gel. Definatley get in to see your urologist for an annual cysto.

Drink lots of water.

well going to the er was the next step i would have taken if it wouldnt have flushed.
    so im not taking any antibiotics right now. other than sediment, no other issues. no smell, no chills nothing.
    also i have been drinking 3 liters a day.
    i have neever gotten a cysto. always been put under for it. with my sensation(hypersensitivity) and the was i spasm even during a regular catheter change, frankly it wouldnt be possible while im awake.
    lidocaine, barely numbs my bum during my bp, even that is super hyper sensitive. and it does nothing during my catheter change

I've been on the same roller coaster with junk in urine, catheter blocking. Mine finally formed a huge bladder stone--had it removed july 7. now today sediment is showing up so here i go again. Probably have to irrigate with renacidin again, I was so hoping this was all behind me. I drink 3 litres of water--tried vetericyn but it didnt help.. feeling discouraged!