Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: catheter keeps getting blocked

catheter keeps getting blocked

hey guys,
    so my sp is still giving me problems. every since i got sick 2.5 months ago i have been struggling with my catheter. so after my hospital stay in june i was on antibiotics more or less until earlier this month. it was like a 6 weeks continuous then a break then again for 2 weeks, then stopped again, basically this cycle continued until this month. the reason for this was whenever i stopped the antibiotics i started having insane amount of sediment. it was like someone was filling my tube with chalk. so because of this my catheter kept getting blocked, and very often(like today) merely flushing it didnt help, had to get it replaced. so we did a bunch of tests and everything was fine, that was the 1 day my urine was clean. so i was asked to stop the antibiotics. anyway the problem persists and im super tired of it. any suggestions? any help would be appreciated.
    btw the tests i did were;
    an ultra sound,
    and a bunch of urine/blood tests.
    i refused a cystoscopy because my doc wasnt going to put me under.
    PLEASE HELP

vaibhav

I don't know what size yours is, mine is a 22. I find that not drinking enough water (I try to drink 4 quarts a day) and eating dairy products are the only times I have those kinds of problems. We do change it every 2 weeks and if it starts to clog we irrigate/flush it with saline. The only other trick I use (and some people won't agree) is if my urine is dirty or I don't feel quite right we will flush it with a saline antibiotic mixture and clamp it off for 10 minutes. We take a large bottle of saline and dissolve 1 or 2 Cipro pills in it, shake up the bottle and insert about 20 to 30 cc's into my bladder and clamp it off with a hemostat for 10 minutes then release the clamp.

You may want to double check how you are rinsing out your leg and night drainage bags or even swap them both for new ones. Hope this helps and you feel better soon!
    Every time that I look in the mirror, All these lines on my face getting clearer
    The past is gone, It went by, like dusk to dawn, Isn't that the way, Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Yeah, I know nobody knows, Where it comes and where it goes, I know it's everybody's sin, You got to lose to know how to win

Written by; Steven Tyler in 1965 @ age 17

^^(A)^^

I would ask for the cysto again that is so they can look into your bladder to find stones. Also make sure your drinking enough fluids and also changing your bags at least once a month. I change mine every other week. But you can get a month out of them as long as you are rinsing them out really good every day

may also be time to get an infectious disease doctor involved as well
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

I would second drinking enough fluids...at least 3 liters daily, mostly water. Sediment can be a sign that you have stones or sand/sludge in your bladder and this may need to be removed during a cystoscopy procedure by your urologist. Sediment can also be a sign that you are leaching a lot of calcium out of your bones, which is more common in those with recent injuries. Renacidin is not very helpful for this type of clogging (as it is for managing encrustations on the inside of the catheter). If you have an indwelling urethral catheter, I would caution against using a larger size, as this can increase the risks for urethral damage. For a SP catheter, it is common to use a 22 or 24 Fr. catheter for better flow and less clogging.

(KLD)

If you cannot feel your bladder most doctors do not want to use a general anesthetic as that has many complications too. My urologist only offers the general during a cystoscopy when it includes a biopsy of the bladder. In regular cystoscopies you can ask for a pain medication to be added to the solution used to inflate your bladder. I didn't know this until I saw it later in the bill. He added fentynal and it stopped all irritation that I could feel the following day or two. But I do have full feeling in my bladder. It is an important test to have every few years after you've had an indwelling for 5 years or more or if you are having problems that less invasive tests aren't able to answer. And yes, the size of your catheter is important and you can flush with water too. Saline is not really necessary but whatever you use does need to be sterile so either buy sterile or boil and cool to use.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

thanks everyone, few things
    1. my catheter is 16fr and always has been, i have a sp.
    2.i have gotten a cystoscopy a bunch of times back home and always have been put under.
    3. i have crazy sensation down there. changing my sp or whenever i used an indwelling has always been a very painful experience for me despite using tons of xylocaine jelly.
    4. even urodynamics is too painful for me.
    5. last year when my catheter(was a sp) was stuck it was soo painful when he kept trying to pull it out he had to put me under to pull it out.
    6. i flush my catheter using normal saline.
    7. right now im drinking between 2.5 to 3 liters a day, i usually used to drink 1.5l and never had a problem until this issue started.
    8. we did the ultrasound to determine if there are any stones in there but nothng showed up
    9. i am moving back home soon and will get a cystoscopy asap once there.
    meanwhile what can i do while here to prevent this from happening again and again

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhavjain View Post
    thanks everyone, few things
    9. i am moving back home soon and will get a cystoscopy asap once there.
    meanwhile what can i do while here to prevent this from happening again and again
    See above.

(KLD)

Change to an 18 french to start and drink more water.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

thanks for the reply guys, appreciate the health

I had the same problem with the blocking. Candida albicans, a fungus, was responsible. 5 days of fluconazole resolved the issue. Might be worth a try. Good luck.