Thread: Big life change

Big life change

Hello everyone there,

I am Thibault a 26 year old french man I am suffering Motor cerebral disability ( i'm not sure you call it like that in english).
    First, sorry in advance for my grammar and spelling mistakes i'll just do my best to make myself as clear as possible, then, thank you all in advance for the time you will take to read.

The point is i'm now 26, free as a bird ( independant from my family, not engaged in a relationship, my job contract ending tomorrow...) and after a long thought I'm pretty sure it is time for a new turn in my life, I've always dream to discover the world while my relatives dream for me a quiet job in public sector or big firm and a quiet life...

Anyway, the point is that I recently applied for an exciting job offer in the US thinking they will not even reply. In fact they replied very positivly ! So I ask myself tons of questions , because if I have to move there (it would be it Portland-OR) I will do alone so:

- Would it be easy to rent an adapted house or flat there ?
    -How is the public transportation system there ? can I expect to move everywhere by bus ? (I recently failed to pass my french driving liscence)
    -Here in France, states provides me financial help to hire someone to help me with house cleaning , go daily shopping when I need help to carry heavy stuff and that kind of things. Is there any comparable system ? If not , by paying for it, would it be easy to find someone serious and trustable helping me for this ? Otherwise , how do you, people on weelchairs manage to do serious house cleaning by yourself ?
    - Is Portland a nice place to live ?
    -Is it a "disabled-friendly" place ?
    -Do you think i am crazy to risk my home comfort alone ?

If my massage inspire you any answer or reflexion, do not hesitate
    Thank you fery much
    Thibault ( pronounce Tee-bo)

Portland is a great city. Public transportation is pretty good, although you would do best to find a place to live close to your workplace. Is the job right in Portland downtown, or in the suburbs? It rains a lot in Portland, so you need to keep this in mind if having to wait to transfer from buses or trains multiple times during your commute.

You are more likely to find apartments or condos that are accessible than houses in most of the Portland area, as these are more likely newer construction. Do you have anyone who can help you do an initial search and provide you with a list of places to check out further for accessibility? You most likely will not find housing specifically designed for people with disabilities; instead housing that you can manage which has wider doors and a bathroom you can get into.

It is hard to tell from your message what your actual disabilities are. Do you have cerebral palsy? Can you stand? Walk at all? How is your hand function? Are you independent in your own personal care (bowel, bladder, bathing, dressing, etc.)? Do you live alone in France?

As far as attendant care or homemaker services, you are unlikely to be eligible for state-funded services. Most programs are based on income, and if you are working, you are unlikely to quality. In addition, such services are seen as part of our social welfare system and immigrants are usually ineligible for such services for a period of time (often 5 years) after they immigrate. You can hire people to do both personal care and housekeeping type activities. You may want to post a question specifically about this in the Caregiving forum here.

I would strongly encourage you to get in touch with one of the Portland area Independent Living Centers (ILCs) which are organizations run by people with disabilities to provide advice, counseling and education to people with disabilities in all aspects of independent living. Some have lists of accessible housing or people looking for work in the homes of people with disabilities. They know the community, and the resources available. Here is the main one for the Portland area: http://www.ilr.org/

Good luck with your job and location change. Come back and ask more questions if you need further help, or to just share in our community?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Portland is a great city. Public transportation is pretty good, although you would do best to find a place to live close to your workplace. Is the job right in Portland downtown, or in the suburbs? It rains a lot in Portland, so you need to keep this in mind if having to wait to transfer from buses or trains multiple times during your commute.
    Yes of course, i will try to find an affordable place as near as my job place (dowtown) as possible. Note to myself, buy a hat and a good raincoat thanks for advice

You are more likely to find apartments or condos that are accessible than houses in most of the Portland area, as these are more likely newer construction. Do you have anyone who can help you do an initial search and provide you with a list of places to check out further for accessibility? You most likely will not find housing specifically designed for people with disabilities; instead housing that you can manage which has wider doors and a bathroom you can get into.
    No I know nobody there at the time, the nearest person I kno lives in Seattle... I was thinkink in booking an hotel room for a few days and check flats accessibility by myself... I don't see any other way...

. Do you have cerebral palsy?
    That's it !

Can you stand? Walk at all? How is your hand function? Are you independent in your own personal care (bowel, bladder, bathing, dressing, etc.)? Do you live alone in France?
    Yes I can stand a little bit and make a few steps until R got something to rely on to maintain my balance ( a wall a table, my crutches...) But being in my chair is just more easy and above all more safe for some stuff (cooking, dish washing... My balance ability is definitly not trustable...)

Basically I have no problem with nothing (bowel, bladder) it is just that bathing, dressing and all daily life takes me muuuuuuch more time. some days button up a shirt or putting socks on can turn into a fight , but finally I always win... The only thing i definitly can't do is to tie my shoes up , but there are some technics for this.... Sometimes I renounce to put a shirt when i'm late and I put a tee-shirt instead..) I used to have someone helping me to do this but for both intimate ans schedule reasons , I finally prefered to do it alone. Today I only need assistance to go shopping (food etc) , to clean the flat, and, sometimes to assist me in cooking (but i Think if i have to live without assistance for a while, I will be able to adapt and don't starve

As far as attendant care or homemaker services, you are unlikely to be eligible for state-funded services. Most programs are based on income, and if you are working, you are unlikely to quality. In addition, such services are seen as part of our social welfare system and immigrants are usually ineligible for such services for a period of time (often 5 years) after they immigrate. You can hire people to do both personal care and housekeeping type activities. You may want to post a question specifically about this in the Caregiving forum here.
    I was not expecting another answer...

I would strongly encourage you to get in touch with one of the Portland area Independent Living Centers (ILCs) which are organizations run by people with disabilities to provide advice, counseling and education to people with disabilities in all aspects of independent living. Some have lists of accessible housing or people looking for work in the homes of people with disabilities. They know the community, and the resources available. Here is the main one for the Portland area: http://www.ilr.org/

Thanks, that's what I was looking for, I will get it touch with them.

Good luck with your job and location change. Come back and ask more questions if you need further help, or to just share in our community?

(KLD)
    Thanks, of course it would be a pleasure to share, i've read several threads here, very interesting and nice forum ...

I live in Oregon, but no longer in the Portland area. I will be moving back to the suburban Portland area shortly, though. Portland is a great place to live if you are disabled. All public transportation is accessible regular taxis not so much, but there are vans that will pick you up and drop you off with a little notice for just about the same price as a city bus fare.

Curbs are cut to allow easy street navigation. Portland is very disabled friendly, and people are also really friendly here(maybe even a little too much so for some). Living downtown is "cool". You might want to see about getting groceries delivered since there are fewer farmers markets than in Europe.

Rain always comes up in every discussion about Oregon. It rains no more here than in Ireland or any other city in close proximity to the sea. We are 80 miles from the ocean and about 60 miles from the mountains. There are programs for skiing in the winter and other disabled friendly activities.

In my opinion, you could not make a better choice for a change than Oregon. You would be welcome here.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Hi TNieva64, I'm a caregiver for my husband and we live in Holland (Pays-Bas). I'm originally from the US, but have only visited Portland, so I can not help much. I am just writing this to say that I admire your dream to discover the world. I hope your dream comes true and wish you much success! Go for it!!!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks to you all, I think I can deal with Irish-like rain as i was living ther for 4 month last year. Nice to know about skiing activities, I always said to myself I should try it one day..
    @ Elarson, thank you so much for your wishes and encouragement

Skippy, not all cities on the ocean have a lot of rain. I wish I could say that is true in San Diego where we average 8 inches of rain annually, but are now going into our second year of serious drought with less than 3 inches in the last year!!!! Love the Pacific Northwest though, and your rain sure helps it stay beautiful and green (like Ireland).

(KLD)