Thread: Another fall while transferring!!!...concussion article for advise

Another fall while transferring!!!...concussion article for advise

My friend Patty Kunze, who is a sci and a RN, wrote this for me and my site PushLiving.com based on my own recent struggle with a concussion. It is being shared a lot and I thought you might find it a helpful reminder. We really can't afford to fall. One friend said he had a friend that actually died from a fall. really scary stuff. My issue is transferring to toilets in places that are new. I really need to figure out a way to not have to do this...or wear a helmet! My elbows are damaged too from falling and hitting them. Hope you find it helpful.

"My articles are usually chats on becoming FIT AND FABULOUS but I wanted to expand on a question asked earlier and further discuss CONCUSSIONS and WHEELCHAIR FALLS. Concussions in general have been in the forefront of Sports Medicine lately with the increase of head injuries in football and soccer alike. No longer is this type of injury ?accepted? as part of performing sports; experts are looking at this phenomenon from a different angle now. Sitting in a wheelchair on a daily basis increases our chances of a fall, where we may strike our head, which results in subsequently a head injury or concussion. It?s a fact of our life-but should not be ignored! Why else would the rehab team train us how to protect our noggins in case of a fall? I KNOW it has happened to all of us and if you are one of the lucky ones that hasn?t experienced a fall yet?..you will." - See more at: http://pushliving.com/index.php/life....O6vxjBvH.dpuf
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Wondering why you are needing to transfer to a strange toilets so much?? Do you not cath in your wheelchair? Not doing bowel care at home on a regular schedule? Maybe you need to wear a helmet??

I have had several clients who has severe brain injuries from falls, either out of bed or from their wheelchair. One ended up blind, and of course many who have had fractures of legs and arms in falls. Not to be taken lightly!!

(KLD)

So sorry to hear of your fall!!
    I'm not SCI but struggle with this same issue of toileting when out in the community, attending class, etc. I can no longer transfer to any toilet but my own, which has two arm rests attached to the toilet.
    I have been using "Travel John" for a couple of years, which requires some dicey maneuvering in my wheelchair to get positioned to use them. This is a work in progress but unless I can perform it I'm done with leaving home for adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Wondering why you are needing to transfer to a strange toilets so much?? Do you not cath in your wheelchair? Not doing bowel care at home on a regular schedule? Maybe you need to wear a helmet??

I have had several clients who has severe brain injuries from falls, either out of bed or from their wheelchair. One ended up blind, and of course many who have had fractures of legs and arms in falls. Not to be taken lightly!!

(KLD)
    I transfer to pee (cath) as I cannot do from chair. I really need to figure out ho to do that...but I have no core and it is hard to get forward enough and pelvic tilted enough to reach. My bladder only holds 300 cc so I do need to go once or twice a night if out...but yeah. you have really made me scared...I cannot fall anymore. And drinking and transferring is not advisable either.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I hope you are feeling better. I am always scared of falls. Both the fall itself and of having to convalesce, which I imagine is very difficult.

Are you transferring from the side? I ask because you mentioned that you need two armrests, which tend to be most useful for standing transfers from the front. I used to be able to do it that way but eventually had to do the side to side transfer when my condition got worse. I think side to side is safer and easier than front transfer, once you get the hang of it.

For the mechanics of side-to-side transfer, I found working with a rehab physical therapist invaluable, although I was an inpatient. They taught me some techniques I would not have figured out on my own. Also, I have tapered front footrests and caster locks, which help too. It's still difficult at times and there is a fall risk, but I haven't fallen yet, although I've had close calls.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 09-11-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I hope you are feeling better. I am always scared of falls. Both the fall itself and of having to convalesce, which I imagine is very difficult.

Are you transferring from the side? I ask because you mentioned that you need two armrests, which tend to be most useful for standing transfers from the front. I used to be able to do it that way but eventually had to do the side to side transfer when my condition got worse. I think side to side is safer and easier than front transfer, once you get the hang of it.

For the mechanics of side-to-side transfer, I found working with a rehab physical therapist invaluable, although I was an inpatient. They taught me some techniques I would not have figured out on my own. Also, I have tapered front footrests and caster locks, which help too. It's still difficult at times and there is a fall risk, but I haven't fallen yet, although I've had close calls.
    xfs: I (Triumph) have the armrests on toilet and yes, do "slide" transfer from side of front. My tapered chair front helps a lot too!
    Cath techniques for females in wheelchairs might be found under "Women" forum.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    xfs: I (Triumph) have the armrests on toilet and yes, do "slide" transfer from side of front. My tapered chair front helps a lot too!
    Cath techniques for females in wheelchairs might be found under "Women" forum.
    yeah...I armrests would do the trick. But these are rarely, if ever present in Florida. Plus, to be honest, so would not "drinking and transferring"

Falls are seriou business. What seems like a minor event, can be the beginning of something major. Think of how many elderly people fall, break their hip and are never the same. Not only the physical consequences of a fall, but the psychological ones can be damaging.
    You are right- we teach people how to fall to try to prevent the physical problems. But, needless to say- they are not all preventable! It is a dangerous world out there, especially for those who are high fall risks. You need to practice what you can do to help prevent falls for you. Although there are guidelines out there, each person is different.
    CKF