Thread: Experimental Drug Being Tested at Shepherd Center

Experimental Drug Being Tested at Shepherd Center

Experimental Drug Being Tested at Shepherd Center May Improve Mobility after Spinal Cord Injury

Only hours after a traumatic spinal cord injury, when the life-and-death moments have passed and ongoing challenges are just coming into focus, some patients are receiving an experimental drug that may change their lives.

The investigational medication, called SUN13837, is given intravenously within 12 hours of a traumatic spinal cord injury (SCI) and then daily for 28 days. It is a fat-soluble molecule that may protect damaged neurons and even promote new nerve growth, preventing some loss of function.

Shepherd Center was one of the first rehabilitation centers in the country to launch a clinical trial to test the safety and effectiveness of SUN13837, which was developed by the Japanese pharmaceutical company Asubio. The first Shepherd Center patient was enrolled in 2013 in a partnership with Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. Asubio is seeking to enroll 164 patients at more than 60 acute trauma centers around the country and internationally.

"When someone has a spinal cord injury, the first thing they want to know is, What can we do to decrease the damage or disability??? said Michelle Tidwell, RN, BSN, clinical study coordinator at Shepherd Center?s Virginia C. Crawford Research Institute. There?s so little out there for spinal cord injury. Having this trial is very important."

A cascade of bodily reactions occurs when the spinal cord is injured. Restricted blood flow, inflammation and a flood of neurotransmitters contribute to the irreversible death of nerve cells. Researchers have long sought a way to prevent damage and trigger nerve regeneration. Stem cell therapies offer promise, but even beyond the controversy involving embryonic stem cell research, the treatments have some downsides. Beta fibroblastic growth factor, a protein found in stem cells, can trigger too much cell growth.

Read more here:

http://news.shepherd.org/en-us/asubio-sci/

(KLD)

Every trial offers another slice of hope. One day the Neural Stem group will roll their ALS treatment to SCI in modified and targeted form for chronics.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Experimental Drug Being Tested at Shepherd Center May Improve Mobility after Spinal Cord Injury

Only hours after a traumatic spinal cord injury, when the life-and-death moments have passed and ongoing challenges are just coming into focus, some patients are receiving an experimental drug that may change their lives.

The investigational medication, called SUN13837, is given intravenously within 12 hours of a traumatic spinal cord injury (SCI) and then daily for 28 days. It is a fat-soluble molecule that may protect damaged neurons and even promote new nerve growth, preventing some loss of function.

Shepherd Center was one of the first rehabilitation centers in the country to launch a clinical trial to test the safety and effectiveness of SUN13837, which was developed by the Japanese pharmaceutical company Asubio. The first Shepherd Center patient was enrolled in 2013 in a partnership with Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. Asubio is seeking to enroll 164 patients at more than 60 acute trauma centers around the country and internationally.

"When someone has a spinal cord injury, the first thing they want to know is, What can we do to decrease the damage or disability??? said Michelle Tidwell, RN, BSN, clinical study coordinator at Shepherd Center?s Virginia C. Crawford Research Institute. There?s so little out there for spinal cord injury. Having this trial is very important."

A cascade of bodily reactions occurs when the spinal cord is injured. Restricted blood flow, inflammation and a flood of neurotransmitters contribute to the irreversible death of nerve cells. Researchers have long sought a way to prevent damage and trigger nerve regeneration. Stem cell therapies offer promise, but even beyond the controversy involving embryonic stem cell research, the treatments have some downsides. Beta fibroblastic growth factor, a protein found in stem cells, can trigger too much cell growth.

Read more here:

http://news.shepherd.org/en-us/asubio-sci/

(KLD)

This really upsets me because if I went to Toronto instead of Kingston they would've given me this , and Toronto western Hospital does daily rehab using the homacoma erigo during acute-care. Now some of the people that were in that trail are quads in manual wheelchairs, able to stand, transfer do everything themselves. Giving me advice how to MoveOn, funny. Kingston general sees two or three spinal cord injuries a year, Toronto Western sees that daily.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    This really upsets me because if I went to Toronto instead of Kingston they would've given me this , and Toronto western Hospital does daily rehab using the homacoma erigo during acute-care. Now some of the people that were in that trail are quads in manual wheelchairs, able to stand, transfer do everything themselves. Giving me advice how to MoveOn, funny. Kingston general sees two or three spinal cord injuries a year, Toronto Western sees that daily.
    If those returns you say are true. That is great. I like any kind of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Every trial offers another slice of hope. One day the Neural Stem group will roll their ALS treatment to SCI in modified and targeted form for chronics.
    It indeed does offer another slice. I so wish we had more. I wish the best of luck to both groups in Phase 2 with the acute SUN13837 treatment and offer a big thank you to the Shepherd Center for doing all they can to help the community like this.

(Here's a video I watched this morning on the ALS treatment by Dr. Eva Feldman). Interesting.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-26-2014 at 08:28 PM.