Thread: Best hip stretch

Best hip stretch

My hips are extremely tight. So much that my butt sticks up in the air when I lay on my stomach. What's the best stretch you all have found to counter this? I've been pushing up on my arms while prone to stretch but they're just so tight..

That's what I have to do - sleeping on your stomach helps lots - mine got SO painful I had to change my stretching routine, my Soaz was just killing me.

Proning (laying on your stomach) is great. Doing a push-up with tight hip flexors is likely to just stretch your lower back and not your hips. We have had people prone and then put sandbag weights on their buttocks, and this helps too. Just be careful of your skin.

(KLD)

I find that if I go on my standing frame and lean back a bit, trying not to let my back get too curved, that helps to stretch out my hips.

Not sure whether you can stand/walk. If not apologies as this post will be useless to you!!
    My husband finds that standing with his back to a work surface in the kitchen (for reassurance he keeps his walking frame in front) and reaching out his hands behind him while lifting his upper body helps lots. He can walk with aids but can't get onto his tummy. The other one that helps is hula hoop motions - one way and then the other (again walker in front for reassurance).

If you have someone to help you, try this:
    1. Lie on your back on a bed or table with your knees at the end and your lower leg hanging off the end of the table.
    2. With help if necessary, bring both knees up to your chest.
    3. While you hold on to one knee and keep it close to your chest, have someone else let your other leg back down and hang over the bed. From what you describe, the other leg will now not be able to touch the bed and the knee will be up in the air - this is where your partner GENTLY, ever so slightly, pushes your knee down towards the floor. You will only feel a stretch in the hip that has the knee being pushed down to the floor by your partner, so you'll have to do this a few times on each side.

The best time to stretch is immediately after some exercise or physical activity. Do this stretch 2-3 times, 30 seconds each rep. As you do more you should find that your partner will be able to push your knee down a little farther and a little harder each time you do it. However, unless you do this 7 days per week, you are unlikely to see any real progress, and any progress you do see will be SLOW. Don't force or overwork this stretch, listen to your body!

The above would be great ... what about a D-ring band (used in yoga) to stretch? I'm wondering about getting into the prone position with that tied around one ankle with the lead right against the side of the body and then carefully bending the knee with that D-ring lead .. think you'd have to be very careful though. I've not tried it but just purchased the band.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    I lay flat on my stomach across the foot of my bed and watch a Netflix's movie each night to stretch out my hip flexors. I guess my husband and I have seen several thousands of movies over the last 6 yrs!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    The above would be great ... what about a D-ring band (used in yoga) to stretch? I'm wondering about getting into the prone position with that tied around one ankle with the lead right against the side of the body and then carefully bending the knee with that D-ring lead .. think you'd have to be very careful though. I've not tried it but just purchased the band.
    interesting.