Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs - new US pricing for the Icon A1 - $2,595 msrp

@Jeff, what do ICON's anti-tippers look like? I can't find a pic.

@Lin, I'm fascinated by your anti-tipper experience. My sense of need for a 5th wheel anti-tipper is one of my trepidations about getting an ICON. I have dysmetria, cannot reliably hold a wheelie, and have cracked my head twice while not using anti-tippers. I would absolutely feel thrilled to be able to not have anti-tippers. Is holding a wheelie really all about proper chair configuration?

My anti-tipper:Name:  03 Chair tipped back on SSCAWB.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  609.9 KB
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Here you go Chas:
    1. The anti-tipper clamp mechanism, which is part of the same clamp used to hold the axle in position (ie loosen that clamp and you can rotate the anti-tip, and also move the axle in or out wards)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  158.2 KB
    2. With the anti-tip in place. Note we did have a problem when my son was smaller, as the base of the back rest assembly would clash with the anti-tips (when the suspension compressed) if we had them set as high as my son wanted them. In fact you can see how there is almost no gap in the (old) photo below. That may be the problem that Lin is having? Now my son is taller and we've raised the seat height, there is no clash.
Views: 410
Size:  170.6 KB
    3. Chilling out!
Views: 624
Size:  292.5 KB

i ended up cutting off the anti-tip wheels, as they rattled a bit, and weren't needed by my son. I've put plastic caps on the end of the cut section...much neater result in my opinion.

Chas, I see no reason why you couldn't have a single anti-tip assembly like yours attached to the Icon. It would just need to be the correct diameter for the clamp assembly, and the exact distance between clamps.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

The anti tippers that came on my demo chair didn't have a curve like that, they were one long bar. When I first saw the chair the seat height was much higher than I needed it, the anti tippers were only about an inch above the floor, and the top barely had any clearance before the seat. They also stuck out quite far behind the wheels. There are various items on the chair that are older than the current A1s coming out as well. The same clamp though. We tried angling them up, but they stuck awkwardly so far behind the wheels still, and trying to shorten them made them ram into the seat before we had even lowered the rsh all the way for me. They looked to be too long even for the chair before we sized it down to my dimensions. And my DME guy commented that they would probably need to be cut down to the correct length to be usable any higher than an inch off the floor.

I'll get a picture of the anti tippers on my Q7 (the dealer kept the Icon ones) tomorrow, they're quite high up like your single one. I think I measured around 8-9 inches under the casters when I set them. Mine have rollerblade wheels instead of the little plastic things. I can't spin on them, but I can roll backwards and forwards easily.

I don't think its JUST the proper configuration making it safer for me to be without them, I think thats a big part which I was already expecting because if I sit in my chair without the cushion, finally being low enough between the wheels I have so much better control over the chair, and the difference in balance with a wheelie is huge. I think having the weight distributed primarily directly under you, and then much lower to the ground with the front wing design makes the chair much more stable in a wheelie and easier to control. I'd definitely recommend giving the chair a shot! I'm really amazed at the things I'm able to do in it that I couldn't do before.

The OT who is doing my wheelchair eval has blown off every attempt I've made to get her to meet or talk with someone about the Icon since she knew nothing about it. Wouldn't even email Jeff, wouldn't email the area rep but I gave him her email and he told me she would be attending the demo of the chair when it was dropped off at my DME. My DME guy said nope she didn't show. I've kept her up to date with all of the back and forth organizing the demo, and there was a possibility of Jeff himself coming down and she had no interest in meeting with him even! Its actually gotten me quite angry at this point, because I don't know what to expect if she is going to try to argue against the chair. If she does I'll fight tooth and nail at this point. Before trying the chair, I had decided if they didn't agree to an Icon I would refuse a new chair at all, because I know there is no other chair available that meets my needs better than my current chair. So I'd rather wait 2 years and get an Icon through medicaid than waste funding on a chair I wouldn't be able to use. But now after trying it, it would kill me to have to wait 2 more years! I've talked about the chair and showed it to a few of my Drs, and my physiatrist sent me out an order for a new chair thats "fitted with an air shock suspension for her joints", and I saw my geneticist friday and he's going to be sending me a letter explaining how well the suspension and adjustability caters to my disability and very specific and frequently changing needs. I don't go into anything lightly, thats why I started researching so far in advance, then determined who would be doing my evaluation and contacted her well in advance to ask if she was familiar with the Icon, Smart Drive, and speedy-lift vehicle lift. But the way she's blown off everything about the Icon has me preparing for war. Hopefully everything will go smoothly, who knows maybe she's blown it all off because she trusts that I know what chair is best and doesn't feel the need to go in depth (which would still be lazy, because of the next person that might be best helped by the Icon). But if she disagrees at all I am READY.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I'll vouch for Jeff's willingness to work with any dealer. I messaged Jeff last week asking about a demo out here in bc, in no time Jeff was back to me with the sales reps contact info, I linked up my dealer with the sales rep and I'm hoping to see the demo this coming week.

Thanks Gordy and Lin. Very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    . . . But if she disagrees at all I am READY.
    You go, girl!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'll vouch for Jeff's willingness to work with any dealer. I messaged Jeff last week asking about a demo out here in bc, in no time Jeff was back to me with the sales reps contact info, I linked up my dealer with the sales rep and I'm hoping to see the demo this coming week.
    I also have had the same experience with Jeff. I was able trial an Icon about two years ago, but at the time, the dealer I was working with didn't really seem interested in supporting Icon. I got in contact with Jeff, and he referred be directly to an area rep, who has been working with several dealers to get another Icon for me to trial.

I'm hoping my dealer will become one, they're trying to get a idea of the potential market in the area.

Lin -- Ugh, this pisses me off so much to hear that your DME is not doing what they need to do and what they agreed to do. I am hoping that you are right, and that she is just being lazy. We had to fight a similar hostile situation, and one thing that helped, especially on the laziness factor, was to write up everything so it could be copy/pasted. I've seen a lot of the Medicare/Medicaid evaluation forms on line, so maybe you can just fill it in for the lazy [I wanted to say the C word] and e-mail it to her. If she is the power hungry sort, and feels she needs to be in control, like ours was, include a few things that are optional that she can take off to boost her ego.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Oh its not the DME, the DME has been wonderful. My new one that is, not the old one that I finally left after all the shit. This is the occupational therapist who will be performing my wheelchair evaluation for vocational rehabilitation. She has to sign off on every item as being what best meets my needs before voc rehab will fund it. Its different from going through medicaid. Though considering I've had a new diagnosis since I received my wheelchair, and how enthusiastic my Drs are about changing my current chair to the Icon, if she fights me I might be able to just get the Icon through medicaid.

The DME and the guy I've worked with there has been wonderful so far. He spent 3 hours with my friday as we went over the Icon, and then just very brief over the smart drive because of how late it was and he admitted I knew more about it than he did anyway, because he hadn't used one since they changed to indoor/outdoor modes and the switches. In fact we were talking about my vicair cushion, and he has a friend thats a rep for them and asked me if I'd be interested in trying out new products. He said the friend gives him stuff all the time and wants feedback, and he tries it out but he's not a wheelchair user himself. So I may get free stuff! He did say if I needed any extra air cells he has bags and bags of them. I am waiting for my cushion (the part that holds the air cells) to be replaced right now because of a rip, they didn't say anything about having to send the old one in so I'm thinking maybe I'll go ahead and sew it myself (I didn't already do that because I was told it would void the warranty) and ask him for air cells and have a backup, not to mention great cat bed since my cat steals my cushion the second I set it down somewhere or am not in my chair.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Lin, so funny about your cat and vicair. (I have a vicair, too, and love it.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>