Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs - new US pricing for the Icon A1 - $2,595 msrp

Icon Wheelchairs - new US pricing for the Icon A1 - $2,595 msrp

We're reducing our US msrp from $3,295 to $2,595 for the Icon A1.

We're introducing a pediatric model, and will shortly be announcing a new model with a trim package that will include some shiny carbon bits.

Icon fits.

I know that has to hurt with all of the investments you have all made, but I hope this gives Icon some traction for people who are funded by short sighted governments. I hope that you can make it up in volume and shiny carbon bits, because they look nice

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post

We're introducing a pediatric model, and will shortly be announcing a new model with a trim package that will include some shiny carbon bits.

Icon fits.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We're reducing it because as we grow, we get more efficient, and we get better pricing on the parts we make (the more material you buy, the less it costs because of volume discounts).

We need to make this a viable business, but this isn't a get rich quick scheme for us. As we can and when we can, we're passing the efficiencies and savings on to the people we're working for.

I had no doubts about that Jeff. I completely believe in what you guys are doing, even though we don't even have an Icon. Maybe someday....

We're reducing it because as we grow, we get more efficient, and we get better pricing on the parts we make (the more material you buy, the less it costs because of volume discounts).

We need to make this a viable business, but this isn't a get rich quick scheme for us. As we can and when we can, we're passing the efficiencies and savings on to the people we're working for.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Well, being the cheapskate that I am...you caught my interest and I looked at your website...wow! Now that has gotta be the least headache producing wheelchair system ever. Not sure what measurements to order...total non-issue with that thing. And at that price point it is extremely competitive for sure, if not blowing away the competition feature-wise. I like the minimal tool requirements too, nice design!

Icon fits.
    All great and welcome news, Jeff! Are there still plans (on the near horizon!) to offer the frame in different colors?

I think the paediatric model is a great idea. Speaking from experience, you've designed a great chair for a growing child. Not just that, but every time I find something new for my son's chair (Firefly for one, extra wide wheels/tyres for another), I can just adjust the Icon to accommodate the new stuff. And now that the new footplate design accommodates the Freewheel, all is good!

Might have to buy a second one at the new low price, just because...!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I would love to try one of these for that suspension, but no dealers where i am yet. If you ever choose to expand into wisconsin, froedtert in milwaukee wisconsin is the go-to place for spinal injuries and many other people in wheelchairs for most of wisconsin. I would love to see a dealer in this location

@Stephen - We can powder-coat the chassis in 14 colors right now on special request. We can't do a lot of the other parts because our tolerances for the parts that move are way too tight, so for example, we can't paint the front wings because they telescope into the chassis.

I just asked our supply chain engineer to keep a number of axle brackets and castor arms out of the anodizing run, which we'll polish and do a clear coat on to see how that looks - I put a set of bare aluminum axle brackets on my chair a little while ago, and they looked good, I'm not so sure that the castor arms will, but I think we'll probably offer some ano packages in limited colors and on a few parts in the future.

@juniorsenior - we will sell to ANY dealer that a customer wants to use. We generally expect that they have a physical location with a showroom and a service department, but even then we'll make exceptions sometimes. We have a dealer on the west coast who services rural areas that doesn't have a physical location or a showroom, but he drives around with a mobile shop in a converted vehicle, and we had a customer request/vouch for him. We are 100% committed to the idea that it's up to the customer to decide who they want to deal with, so we do not and will not engage in any exclusive agreements.

For the big network dealers, we're uploaded in the sales system with National Seating and Mobility, and there is one in Milwaukee - we also have an Icon rep in Wisconsin.

If anyone ever gets told by a dealer that they "can't" get an Icon in for you to trial, it's absolutely not true.

juniorsenior, I want to agree with what Jeff's saying. There was no one near me that had the Icon, but I had contacted Jeff and he said he'd start working on arranging a trial for me. I contacted the dealer I wanted to work with, Jeff contacted the rep who would be responsible for my area (he's in ohio, I'm in Indianapolis) and it was set up to bring the chair to the dealer I wanted to work with. I'm sitting in it right now, and its AMAZING. The difference is shocking. I remember reading here about how going from a hospital type wheelchair to a custom ultralight is like going from a peg leg to a modern prosthetic. Well going from my chair to the Icon was like going from a cheap prosthetic to the top of the line-best you can get prosthetic! I finally understand what people mean when they say the chair should feel like an extension of yourself. I thought my chair felt like that, but now I truly know what it is.

The rep had forgotten to leave the shock pump, so the first day (thursday) it didn't have the shock and I was still in love with it. Now with the shock correctly set I don't even know the words for what I feel about this chair. We couldn't set up the antitippers on it with my low/tiny dimensions. I was a bit nervous but figured since its only a few days I'll be fine. I've only ever flipped backwards in my chair once and that was my own fault while stationary. I was never going to go without anti tippers, using them for curbs and as a failsafe because I have cervical instability and could damage my cord if I went backwards on my head. But I feel so much more stable, I assume its both the better fit and the way the weight is distributed. I've even gone down my first curb! And up a little curb alone! I had some time before my appointment so I found a low spot at the sidewalk and started going up and down it. As I got confidence I went down a little higher spot. The shock makes it really forgiving, at one point I landed really heavily on one wheel first, and I think if it hadn't been for the suspension I'd have fallen over sideways. Its got me believing maybe I can go without anti tippers. I don't know if I'll ever have the strength to go up big curbs, but its got me believing I can learn to go down them safely. Its going to be a big (and difficult) decision for me to make now between the safeguard of anti tippers for my cervical risk, balance issues, and hand/arm fine motor control; and this new found freedom.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.