Thread: Traveling to Las Vegas, Need Hotel & Van Rental Info

Traveling to Las Vegas, Need Hotel & Van Rental Info

Hi all,
    I plan on traveling to Las Vegas with a friend in November and want to get some info. We were thinking of taking a few days to catch a show, see some of the sites on the strip and then maybe renting an accessible minivan and driving to the Grand Canyon. We don't want to spend much more than $125 a night for hotel.

I'm looking for recommendations on a good rental agency for the accessible minivan? I searched Google and found the three companies listed below, can anyone comment on the service record of these companies? We probably need the van for one day and would also need drop-off and pickup of the van.

http://www.wheelchairgetaways.com/fr...gas/rates.htm- 1 Days: $125/day, 2-7 Days: $105/day

https://wheelersvanrentals.com/location.php-$ 132.11 daily

http://www.ride-away.com/wheelchair-...ates-and-fees/ - 1 Day $135, 2-4 Days $120 / Day (100 Miles per day included, $0.35 per mile each additional mile. Additional state tax and airport surcharge fees may apply)

Any recommendations on hotels with great wheelchair accessible rooms? I use a power chair so a large, spacious room would be nice but not a necessity. Bed height is important, the lower the better as I do sliding board transfers. I don't travel much but in the last wheelchair accessible hotel room I stayed the bed was very high. Any hotels offer adjustable (head, foot) beds? Also, a room with a roll in shower would be nice but not a necessity. Also, do you know of any hotel or airline discounts for disabled travelers?

What are some of your favorite Vegas attractions? Any quads here try a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon? I did search the Care Cure forums and found many Vegas related posts but I'm sure there's others out there with additional info.

Any other tips on travel to Vegas are much appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Quadzila@optonline.net; 08-21-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add helicopter?
    Dan G. in CT

I would recommend Harrah's but I'm sure the Rio has more spacious rooms because they're all suites. The Rio has free shuttle service to the strip every 30 minutes. We actually had a spacious room at the Quad and that area of the strip (Harrah's & the Quad) is my favorite locale. If you book the Mirage across the street, probably $120/nt, you can slip the check in agent a $20 and they will upgrade your room usually. Mirage is one of my all-time favorite vegas hotels.

I'd recommend Absinthe for a show. Just saw Donny & Marie and they were great.

Never done the chopper tour but it's on my list.

The cheapest way is to book your air & hotel separately. And I always use the Belltrans shuttle from the airport to my hotel. They always have 1 working accessible shuttle and it's $8/person. You can get your ticket after you get your luggage.

I know smokey mentioned one of the hotels he frequents has the overhead lift in the room. if that helps.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer