Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Popular AB misconceptions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taanshi79 View Post
    'You can't be in pain cause you don't feel anything down there. Must be just in your head.' when I mention neuro pain.

'OMG, you moved your leg!' while observing a spasm. Specially annoying (shocking?) when it comes from a healthcare worker.

And the all time favorite, middle aged woment addresseing my wife 'Ah how sweet of you to take your challenged brother (friend) out.'

Oh yeah! I run into this one all the time!!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

They just don't know or understand "walk a mile in my shoes". Most of the time they say "wow your good in that thing" I say ya unfortunately I have has a lot of practice. The other one I get is "that looks like fun", I answer it is for the first day but the next 34 years really suck.
    ^^(A)^^

I never heard such. Although, you could simply run person over with your wheelchair. It be a good test. See if they can run faster than you can make chair go. I will admit, some things are easier in wheelchair, but overall, I'd take walking over chair in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Although, you could simply run person over with your wheelchair. It be a good test.
    This made me think of another one. The ole perception of if I get mad at the person, I'm gonna run them over. Apparently, this is what they believe is the only thing I/we can do to show my aggression. F-that! I'm gonna do a lot more than that if push comes to shove.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I'm a walking para but use hiking poles for a boost and balance. I get lots of comments about it looking 'fun' and questions about my trying out for a ski team. I am obviously in no shape to ski and, no, it is not fun. But, I remind myself that I was pretty clueless before being injured. I don't think I would have made comments such as I receive but I certainly didn't get it.

People are merely trying to make conversation. They are trying to connect with another human being. They are generally just trying to be nice.

It is harder to connect with a disabled person since there is a disparity between the situations. This is both perceived and real. They are trying to close that gap somehow, hence the comment "Getting around on wheels looks SO much easier".

So in my case, I take it for what it is - an attempt to be nice. And I am nice back in return. And the gap is narrowed for a pleasant moment in time.

Along these lines, often thought of how much time it takes out of a day to be disabled and today saw a great article about it. Nice to share it with non disabled:
    The Precious Commodity of Time by Dan Griffin on Huffington Post 9/9/14

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    People are merely trying to make conversation. They are trying to connect with another human being. They are generally just trying to be nice.

It is harder to connect with a disabled person since there is a disparity between the situations. This is both perceived and real. They are trying to close that gap somehow, hence the comment "Getting around on wheels looks SO much easier".

So in my case, I take it for what it is - an attempt to be nice. And I am nice back in return. And the gap is narrowed for a pleasant moment in time.
    There's a difference between trying to make conversation and being rude/insulting.
    I can see and treat comments ike 'nice ride' or 'careful you gonna get a speeding ticket' or similar ones as just a way to try to start to talk.
    But it's a very different thing to tell me to my face that I am just making up the neuro pain I fee. Or to assume that I must also be mentally challenged. Tgose are not conversation starters, those are insults.
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Taanshi, definitely insulting. It reminds me of an anecdote my boyfriend told me. In college he had a friend who didn't believe in a brain freeze. Continously said that he'd never had one, and so it didn't exist and people were making it up. No one could convince him otherwise. Then, he got cancer. Everyone in the group of friends teased him saying "I'VE never had cancer, so I don't believe in it. There must be no such thing since its never happened to me." What some people don't believe in simply because they have no idea themselves boggles the mind.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Yes Lin, that. Simply because it isn't something someone personally experienced doesn't mean it is made up or in my head.
    And all those typos in my post don't help my point that being in a chair doesn't equal being mentally challenged
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf