Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Popular AB misconceptions

Quote Originally Posted by Taanshi79 View Post
    There's a difference between trying to make conversation and being rude/insulting.
    I can see and treat comments ike 'nice ride' or 'careful you gonna get a speeding ticket' or similar ones as just a way to try to start to talk.
    But it's a very different thing to tell me to my face that I am just making up the neuro pain I fee. Or to assume that I must also be mentally challenged. Tgose are not conversation starters, those are insults.
    And you can clearly tell the difference between the conversation starter and an insult. My post is aimed at those who cannot.

The conversations I hate the most are about me having a spinal cord injury and therefore I don't feel any pain. No matter how much I explain that is not true, most people don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    And you can clearly tell the difference between the conversation starter and an insult. My post is aimed at those who cannot.
    The way I read your post it seemed to generalize. Pardon my misinterpretation.
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

My genetic disorder was recently featured in Maxim magazine... Under the article "Diseases we wouldn't mind having" because they thought the hypermobile joints with the ability to dislocate daily and stretching skin sounded like fun. Luckily however after some people wrote in their realized their mistake, did some research, retracted that portion of their original article and interviewed someone from an EDS foundation to write an educational article on EDS. So I guess in the end it was a good thing, awareness for rare diseases is always good but wow pretty insulting at the start.

(to be honest, their other choices don't belong on the list either... )
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Wow. But at least it resulted in a educational article and raised some awareness. Still you'd think they'd research first, eh?
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Yea for real. And one of the choices that still appears when you look up the article, is that congenital condition where you feel no pain. Oh, that's just great, frequently having parts of your body missing by childhood because of babies chewing on their lips or fingers and not stopping due to pain. Or braking a bone and having no idea because it doesn't hurt, or being severly injured and having no idea because there's no pain so you don't seek treatment and die. Having to rush to the Dr every time you stumble or bump your head to check for broken bones or concussions.

That whole article honestly is an example of AB misconceptions about disease. I'm very glad the EDS part was retracted and the educational article done, but the whole thing should have really been taken down.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Couldn't help myself and looked up that article. You're right, none of those diseases qualify. The whole thing is really one big insult.