Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i want to say hi to everyone and maybe make some friends

i want to say hi to everyone and maybe make some friends

hi everyone! i've been injured 6 years now, t11-t12 incomplete, wheelchair around the house/condo complex, walking on bilateral kafos with forearm crutches outside (i might use a loan-a-chair at the mall or grocery store). i am from the USA, southern appalachia, blue ridge mountains specifically, and have been living in Thailand for the last four years.

I love music (i play several instruments and studied theory at university), art, and literature (i'm a professional writer), martial arts (used to box and was finishing up a black belt in jiu-jitsu with the world kobudo federation just before breaking my back, a four story drop broken above the first floor by a concrete awning which i smashed and took to the ground with me), i love the outdoors (used to do a lot of backpacking and fishing, still camp some and fish some), i love food (worked as a cook and even sous chef in my past life), i'm really into nutrition and exercise, i grow kombucha and boil all kinds of roots and weeds. and i am a serious tea scholar, i have a massive collection and am constantly exploring the chinese tea culture. forgive the run on but i'm about to wet myself and want to get this posted while i'm really in the mood to do it.

Hope this is the right place for this and i hope somebody wants to say hi. i was hesitant about using a forum and getting involved in any kind of community for a long time. i'm sort of introverted and i tried to pretend that nothing was really wrong for a very, very long time. I know i am much more fortunate than most, but i still get very depressed and feel very isolated by my conditions, even though i mask them well and participate pretty normally in society. if you don't know it really can't be explained to you, and i think it's high time i meet some people with similar things going on, hopefully sharing perspectives lightens the load.

thanks so much for taking the time to read this!
    will

i'll add a picture some time tonight so you can see who you're talking to. i hope to get to know some of you guys, i've been reading these threads for years and it has helped a lot. i really appreciate this thing

Welcome Dude! Thailand? I assume you are not in the most accessible place on Earth. Have you had any rehab? And does the heat effect your walking ability? I know heat knocks out a lot of incompletes' muscles. There must be a story on how you did the huge jump from the Blue Ridge to Bangkok. Love to hear it.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I will say "Hi." I am originally from northern Appalachia in NW PA. In my post-retirement life I have done a little writing, mostly plays. You can click on the "See me @" link below and find out some other stuff about me. Hope you enjoy CC. We are mostly nice people, but if you go to the Politics Forum it is often a "no holds barred" free-for-all.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Hello "Mr. Dude,"

All the best,
    GJ

ยินดีต้อนรับ ผมใช้เวลามากของเวลาที่มีในระหว่างการเดินทางของฉันใ นประเทศเวียดนาม

Yindī t̂xnrạb p̄hm chı̂ welā māk k̄hxng welā thī̀ mī nı rah̄ẁāng kār deinthāng k̄hxng c̄hạn nı pratheṣ̄ weīydnām

Welcome! I spent a lot of time there during my tour in Vietnam

Have you learned Thai? not the easiest. I loved the people, outdoor food vendors and the country there.
    Sadly never went back.

Kindly,

Ket

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Welcome Dude! Thailand? I assume you are not in the most accessible place on Earth. Have you had any rehab? And does the heat effect your walking ability? I know heat knocks out a lot of incompletes' muscles. There must be a story on how you did the huge jump from the Blue Ridge to Bangkok. Love to hear it.
    Wo, where to start. I'll probably blog out more of the story at some point, it's pretty exciting in places, but i'll give you a condensed version here. I was here (in Bangkok) when i broke my back. I was studying mandarin at an international university and training in the martial arts. I spent a little more than a month in the hospital here, had two rods put in. i can't remember the injury or very much for a few weeks afterwards. i was flown back to the US on a 7something7 with a few of the seats pulled out, the hospital sent an attending nurse with me.
    from michigan i was flown to charleston, west virginia (my last home before i went to asia) in the back of a tiny cessna with a para-medical lady, a pilot, and my mother (who had come to asia to collect me as i didn't have my wits about me at all for a while, friends helped, but of course serious things require family). from there i went to the rehab hospital in charleston. i did about two weeks of rehab there and was dismissed from the program early (i was seeing an acupuncturist, i'd asked for them to allow him in the hospital, was denied and was using a spare dining room in my mother's restaurant which was very close to the hospital).

I stayed with my grandmother in charleston for a while, she couldn't handle the extra laundry and stress. I went to stay with my father and his mother in virginia for a while but the town didn't really have any sort of a scene to appeal to me, the public transit was lausy, and it was all very spread out, no good sidewalks and lots of hills. I went nuts after about a month. stayed with friends for a while, until a friend i was staying with lost his apartment then i was homeless for a while. this is about the time when i got my braces and i was doing physical outpatient PT with those 2 - 3 times a week i lived in a tent that i had gotten to pitch behind an old house that had been converted into apartments and a job as a parking lot attendant across from some local bars. i managed to use some connections to get an office space in a building downtown, right next to my parking lot and not far from the gym where i lifted weights.

From there i managed to get an apartment, but it was in an ugly part of town and i had problems with shady neighbors and police who hassled me often and helped me rarely, and everything was too damned expensive. even with all the assitance i was getting. I knew a woman here who worked as a travel agent and she wanted me to come badly, we had fallen in love, and even though i wasn't ready physically i decided to opt for the trial by fire.

When i arrived i could barely walk, i was slow, and i was exhausted. stairs were a nightmare and i usually ended up crawling up and down them. time and necessity made me stronger and now i can climb stairs without a handrail (up and down, up to about 12 inches tall for stairs, and taller with single steps) i clock 3 kilometers an hour on hard, level ground when my knee joints aren't slipping on me, and i can handle all kinds of wild terrian. I've travelled through lao, myanmar (in the disputed shan state), cambodia, northern vietnam, and all around thailand on the braces. i walk, i ride in wheelbarrows, backs of trucks, trains, buses, boats, and most anything else. The heat doesn't bother me at all at this point and i can walk or stand for a very long time before tiring. But it was a VERY VERY hard road to get to this point physically - many hours in the gym, lots of inventing and reinventing techniques for training for and executing tasks, lots of embarrassing public failures of any and all systems, a second operation to remove the rods and subsequent recovery, and a shitload of hard work out on the terrain - just going through the acts of living. best decision i ever made.
    (extra note on the heat, my condo has pool/gym/sauna and i will use the sauna at 95-100 celsius 2-3 times a week for abouth 30 minutes (15 minutes, short break, 10, break, 5, stumble home feeling high and happy) i use the braces in the sauna, i got this pair made here and they're well suited to heat and moisture, easy to clean and hard to damage,etc. i usually take the first two periods standing with my back leaned against the wall so i can get more heat and vapor to my head

since i've been back i've worked as a coordinator for a travel agency, a tutor (a common trade among expats, one i gave up quickly), i opened a small company to export tea from the north of thailand (it's still around, i haven't pushed it much lately, too many other things going on), and found good work as a writer. Honestly, my life did not slow down much after i broke my back and i'm very grateful for that. i've managed to keep moving.

Thanks for asking about this, it kind of brightens my mood to reflect on the ground covered up to this point, and there are lots of really exciting in between moments too. i've been kind of bummed out lately and that helped

hi SCIfor55yrs! thanks, i'll check some out and get back to you as soon as possible! a lot of my stuff online now is just travel articles, a lot of what i've done was work for hire so i don't retain any rights, but you can see some of my stuff on bangkok beyond's blog, http://www.bangkokbeyond.com/blog/
    Last edited by mr. dude; 08-21-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ketamine kitty View Post
    ยินดีต้อนรับ ผมใช้เวลามากของเวลาที่มีในระหว่างการเดินทางของฉันใ นประเทศเวียดนาม

Yindī t̂xnrạb p̄hm chı̂ welā māk k̄hxng welā thī̀ mī nı rah̄ẁāng kār deinthāng k̄hxng c̄hạn nı pratheṣ̄ weīydnām
    เก่งมาก! i can speak reasonably well and have basic literacy. i'm not reading great literature yet but comics, menus, signs, stuff like that. it's still here if you ever feel like checking it out again

when were you here? i wonder what it was like back then. still the best fed country in SEA, food carts on top of food carts, still as laid back as a place can be without completely crumbling with disrepair

i've read some of your posts before, so i have some idea of your story.
    Last edited by mr. dude; 08-21-2014 at 06:18 PM.

thanks "gjnl" !!