Thread: i need some tips on meds for occasional neuro pain

i need some tips on meds for occasional neuro pain

starting off - im t11-t12, 6 years post. i have some sensation all the way down to my toes, but it is very vague past my knees, deep tissue, prolonged surface stimulation and temperature. sort of like what they used to feel like when i passed out on a long bus ride.

i don't have bad pain compared to most, i don't think. it isn't constant and some things like diet, exercise, and avoiding too much stress help manage it. but when it decides to come on it is, as no doubt most of you know as well or better than i do, it's the sort of stuff that would beggar the cruelty of the inquisitors. and it creates a cycle that can be hard to break. pain creates lack of function and stress, lack of function makes more stress, all the extra stress makes the pain worse, and so on. and after that has taken its toll on me and my existential balance sheet is adjusted for that plus all the other frustrations that come from being just shy of useless from the waist down it's hard to justify doing anything.

the pain is worst in my hips, inner thighs, lower abdomen, around the groin, and the ball of my foot right were the toes join. i live in a condo and wonder about the screams a lot.

i can get tramadol over the counter, and while it helps some it does really weird stuff to my head. i am going to go see a doctor within the next week or two, and would kind of like to go in with a clearer idea of what has been useful for people. i really can't afford sampling the whole rainbow of drugs financially or in time. i really need to figure out some way to function soon, i don't have much of a net to catch me if i break down and fail to work for too long.

i appreciate any input on negative and positive experiences with drugs. more than anything else, i don't want to make it any worse somehow. i tried zoloft at one point last year trying to cope with depression and anxiety and it created its own nest of snakes, really ugly experience. and i've seen too many people with able bodies drop all the balls over opiates. i'm skittish but i need something effective for the bad days, badly

thank you all so much for your time and input

The first drug they used to try is low dose amitriptyline (Elavil). It is a tricyclic antidepressant but at low doses it helps many the nerve pain and it is pretty cheap. Next up is Neurotnin. More expensive but helps many long term. Elavil makes many sleepy at first so is best taken at bedtime.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

thanks sue! never heard about the elavil, will read up on that tonight. i've heard some people say nasty things about neurotnin, i wonder what side effects anyone has had from this? will this limit the function of the nerve signals (movement/non-pain sensation) or is it pretty focused?

Neither should effect your muscle use or strength. I am not a walker but am incomplete who still uses my legs for assisted transfers and narcotics do knock those out as does, in me at least, TylenolPM for at least a few hours afterwards. If the Elavil works you should get liver level panels done annually and maybe sooner the first year. Yea, almost all the anti-epileptics have various side effects but the Neurotnin has the longest time sinceapproval so at least you can find the real problems with it or your doctor can and watch for them.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

About 2-3 months after injury I developed a constant burning pain on my butt. When bad it feels like I am sitting on a hot grill. I have been taking Elavil ever since, now, 20 mg in the morning and before bed. Has been effective.

thanks jim, does it have any effect on your moods or your mental function at all?

Don't think so!