Thread: For those with suprapubic catheters, how many infections do you get a year?

For those with suprapubic catheters, how many infections do you get a year?

Hello everyone,
    I'm considering getting suprapubic catheter surgery in the near future, I can pee voluntarily now but it's getting much more difficult due to problems with my SCI. When I consulted with the urologist that will be doing the surgery, he said that I can expect to get "many" infections a year after the surgery. My question is for those with suprapubic catheter's, approximately how many UTI's do you get each year? What other type of infections can the suprapubic cause? Are these easily treated?

As of now, I'm getting catheterized with a Foley catheter approximately once a week as I only really need it when I'm leaving home for more than a few hours. The urologist said over the years this could cause major trauma to the urethra however I know there are others out there that do straight cathing daily without problems, can anyone comment on the continued use of Foley catheters for many years?

I know the suprapubic would make my life a lot easier but I'm very concerned about the infection rate. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
    Dan G. in CT

I've had my SP for a little over a year and 1/2 and in that time I've only had one uti. Like a lot of people on here I also use the vetericyn VF too flush out my bladder once a day.
    My previous 28 years of SCI life I use a condom catheter and seemed to be infected all the time.

And yes a SP does seem to make life easier!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Agree with "Cowboys_Place."

Take a look here, http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...to-Dr-Young%29).

All the best,
    GJ

I've had my sp for 23 plus years.. In all those years I've had maybe 10 uti's.. One of the best decisions I've ever made..

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I've had about 6 or 7 UTIs in 25 years with a SP. They usually have a specific alternate cause, not necessarily due to having an SP cath. The causes for me seem to be drinking alcohol or eating sugar or not drinking enough water or swimming (maybe under-chlorinated, and probably due to SP). I also know that my bladder is always colonized with 2 specific bacteria (one being pseudomonas aeriginosa), but I have no symptoms of infection until it is a real UTI. I've never used vetericyn or irrigated, as I think it's best not to mess with the bladder flora if it can be avoided. I take no medications, except antibiotics of course if there is an actual UTI.