Thread: Health insurance question

Health insurance question

I am not sure this is the right place. But I have some health insurance questions. Anybody heare can help me?

Depends on the questions...

Ask. If you are way off base, they will move the question to the "care" forum or wherever it seems appropriate.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Kool. I am fixin to change health plans to Humana and was wondering what peoples experiences are with Humana? Doctors dme Ect.

Are you planning to change from conventional Medicare to one of Humana's Medicare Advantage plans ? If so, you should make certain that your current doctors and hospitals of choice will be in their network at the time your insurance changes. Also, take stock of what services you already get (DME, etc ) then read your Humana policy to make sure your coverage will be the same as under original Medicare. There's not always a seamless transition for people with higher degrees of medical need.

I have been with Humana for several years now. I was using original Medicare then United Heathcare before. I like Humana; but then again, I don't use them for anything except annual visits and blood tests. Doctor visits are only $5. Don't expect much help with durable medical supplies like wheelchairs. The advantage plans are far less accommodating than original Medicare when it comes to high end stuff. I Also have a good selection of doctors to choose from in my area--more than United had.

From Humana's info:

Humana Section 7.1
    Durable medical equipment includes items such as oxygen equipment and supplies, wheelchairs, walkers, and hospital beds ordered by a provider for use in the home. Certain items, such as prosthetics, are always owned by the enrollee. In this section, we discuss other types of durable medical equipment that must be rented.

In Original Medicare, people who rent certain types of durable medical equipment own the equipment after paying co-payments for the item for 13 months. As a member of HumanaChoice H6609-012 (PPO), however, you will not acquire ownership of rented durable medical equipment items no matter how many copayments you make for the item while a member of our plan. Under certain limited circumstances we will transfer ownership of the durable medical equipment item.

I need something better than my current plan. I am getting the major run around with my current plan

Call this guy: http://www.bobpeirce.com/

He is not AZ but just next state over in NM and has an SCI plus has worked in insurance for over 30 years. If he can't answer your questions I would be shocked.

Aetna is buying Humana along with their Medicare Advantage Plan. That will make Aetna the second largest private US health insurer behind United Healthcare
    Cigna is up for grabs by either Anthem or United HealthCare.
    All this consolidation can't be good news for people with complex medical or equipment needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Aetna is buying Humana along with their Medicare Advantage Plan. That will make Aetna the second largest private US health insurer behind United Healthcare
    Cigna is up for grabs by either Anthem or United HealthCare.
    All this consolidation can't be good news for people with complex medical or equipment needs.
    I agree with that. I hope that Humana Advantage Gold isn't affected as United Health Care Advantage plans were.