Thread: Carer chose to ring in sick but...

Carer chose to ring in sick but...

Was able to post videos and pictures of her taking her dog for a walk on Facebook(she is the only one I'm friends with on Facebook). Other relevant info she is pregnant

most of all I feel let down etc

It was a home gym session she rang in sick for

Should I tell the agency?

Yes, I sure would.

If it was just taking her dog for a walk, I could see that. Even when you're sick the dog still has to potty. But taking videos and photos of it and posting to facebook, definitely not so sick she couldn't work!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

If they are date stamped, save them for the future use.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

She may have felt unwell (morning sickness?) and got over it later in the day, we don't know. Or she may have called in sick because a family member was sick or having surgery, but had time in between crises to walk little Fido. But given that she's pregnant, it's hard not to wonder whether she's deliberately using up her sick leave (which can't be cashed out) instead of her annual leave (which can be cashed out) prior to going on maternity leave and likely not returning. Or perhaps I'm a cynic. Anyway, you're worth money to the agency, so the worst I can see happening if you tell them is that they give her a chewing out and she blames you and won't work with you anymore. Of course, how important it is to be charming and nice and forgiving to your carers and agency will depend on how thick on the ground carers and agencies are in your part of the country (disclaimer: Aucklander here).

Have you considered Individualised Funding (assuming you're MOH-funded)? You lose the automatic backup for no-show carers, but gain the ability to hire and fire.