Thread: Broken Ankle

Broken Ankle

Two weeks ago I fractured my Fibula.. Freak accident

In a cast currently.. Im c5/6 incomplete non walker. Just if anyone has experienced this and there experiences

thanks

I hope its a soft removable cast.

There have been some recent posts about broken tibia/fibula's: Fractureed my tibia and Twisted lower leg help needed. Often they happen together, so I guess you were lucky that it was only your fibula, because isolated fibula fractures usually heal quickly.

When it happened to my husband last year, who has functional paralysis of the leg he broke, we were advised by many here to use a removable soft cast or if not possible, a well padded bi-valved cast so that checking for pressure sores is possible.

We could not convince them of a soft cast or bivalved cast. They did not listen to our concerns and put a long leg cast on including his heel and part of his foot, and had it an a bad angle for using a manual wheelchair and transferring.

After the first week we insisted on going back to have it replaced by one that went above the ankle, and had more of an angle to it so he could sit in the chair better. It was replaced weekly 2 more times after that. After that we decided to stop and let it heal on its own, since he was not weight bearing on it, and it was just to risky and difficult for him.

It was a terrible experience for my husband and me as a caregiver with transfers. He was very lucky not to have gotten a pressure sore on his heel, because he had just had one there 6 months previous due to a broken femur.

if at all possible, I would encourage you to get a removable soft cast. I think it depends mostly on where the break is located, and the higher it is to the knee, the more difficult that is.

Unfortunately, many doc's don't take into account the issues involved with paralysis and someone who uses a wheelchair, and you may need to be adamant about what you need. Best of luck to you.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have broken my fibula and/or tibia now 4 times over 35 years

3 times, the doctor used fiberglass casts
    1 time a velcro strapped boot.

with the casts, the doctors had them changed ever 10 days to 2 weeks. checking for sores each time and also using extra padding. I never had issues with sores. I prefer a cast and will take the risk with sores. all breaks healed straight

The velcro strapped boot was ok, I am not a fan of these boots. My case, this break did not heal properly, my foot turns in slightly. I believe if that was a cast, that break would have healed more straight

The key is a doctor and staff that understand the risk with pressure sores when dealing with an SCI patient

If you need a cast, you need to get it changed frequently to check for pressure ulcers. Make sure ALL bony prominences are well padded. And keep your foot elevated to keep the swelling down.

preferable to the cast is a bivalve done that can come off so you can check for pressure ulcers. Again, keep the foot elevated.

ckf

Also if you are stuck in the cast for awhile you may want to consider a waterproof cast. Not sure if the doc stocks it. I had one for my fractured ankle. Worked well.
    Got mine here: https://www.orthotape.com/waterproof-cast.asp

Whish you the best.
    Ric