Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen pain medication.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA

Stolen pain medication.

Not sure where this belongs.

A 74 year old women I know with MS had her pain medication stolen by one of her home care workers. Now the Doctor has decided to stop providing it and is beginning to reduce the dose every week until she's done. The pharmacy provides a sealed package will everything sorted out and the visiting nurse puts them in a machine for dispensing.

She is very upset as it was not her fault the pills were stolen. Doctor refuses to reconsider.

Know one knows who to contact for help and everyone believes this is unfair. Has anyone faced a problem like this and what was done to solve the situation.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Did she fire the homecare worker?

did this happen more than once? If this was a one time event, then its shocking she's being discharged as a patient over it. In this type of situation generally what happens is the Dr will not replace the stolen medication (though some will with a police report, but generally no and its in the pain contract before you receive meds that if they're ever stolen or lost its your responsibility and they will not be replaced.) But if it happened more than once, than the Dr doesn't really have proof that it was a worker stealing the medication, and may believe the patient is selling it etc which would be grounds for discharge.

Did she file charges against the worker? And receive a police report?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

A police report was filed but no one has even been interviewed. First time medicine was stolen but she has had money stolen and the cops have never done anything.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

You can run into trouble shopping doctors to get pain medicine, but this doctor himself may be under review for some reason and is being overly cautious.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    A police report was filed but no one has even been interviewed. First time medicine was stolen but she has had money stolen and the cops have never done anything.
    In most states, people with disabilities are in a protected class, as are children and the elderly, so there are options for reporting the theft to Adult Protective Services (or similar agency) in her area and they will do an investigation. It varies how good this is, but they can follow up on getting charges pressed.

Can she change providers?? Is her provider through a group or HMO?? She can ask for an ethics review of her case, if so, and present her case to the Ethics Team who can provide advisory consultation to the provider. Worth a try.

(KLD)

In PA, Elder abuse includes the thefts of her money and other items and falls under the Adult Protective Services Act. Unfortunately it requires that the report be filled by the local Area on Aging who has know about everything for months and has done practically nothing. Will keep trying but every agency that's been contacted has basically blown her off. Includes local police, district attorney, state attorney generals office and everyone I could think of.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Have you tried the local senator or representative? I am in a district where both are excellent at responding to their constituents.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Then its shocking she's being discharged as a patient over it. In this type of situation generally what happens is the Dr will not replace the stolen medication....
    emma

Anytime your controlled substances aka opiates aka pain medication, are stolen you should file a police report. That way you are taking steps to show your innocence. 49 of the 50 states are enacting drug monitoring programs to ensure that only one provider is ordering controlled medications for one patient. Vicodin and Tramadol have been added to that list. I have all my patients sign opiate pain medication agreements, part of the agreement is to report stolen medications - all to prevent diversion.

pbr