Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much can I expect to recover?

Thank you all so much!

A lot of my weight is now in my legs which are swollen unless elevated.

About pressure sores. I just have been discharged from two weeks in the hospital due a horrific sore on my left butt. It went to the bone or close to. It was debrided surgically and I've been discharged with a VAC dressing.

Thank you for the encouragement! If I could just get more upper body strength it would be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by johngoodman View Post
    Thank you all so much!

A lot of my weight is now in my legs which are swollen unless elevated.

About pressure sores. I just have been discharged from two weeks in the hospital due a horrific sore on my left butt. It went to the bone or close to. It was debrided surgically and I've been discharged with a VAC dressing.

Thank you for the encouragement! If I could just get more upper body strength it would be wonderful.

Well, this is great if most of your weight is in your legs. With a screen name like "John Goodman", you can guess what we were picturing. Elevate those legs, and get some compression stockings.

The pressure sore is a nightmare though. You need close follow-up as I am worried about getting that to heal. Have they said you may need surgery? You will need more input from experts on this site who have dealt with wounds like this, but STAY OFF OF IT. Protein protein protein, hydrate, multivitamin and eat well. It will be very hard to do PT with this sore that needs healing.

I agree. If you have an ischial pressure ulcer, you should not be sitting at all, much less working on slide board transfers. Hope you are working with an expert plastic surgeon as a pressure ulcer that deep will almost always need surgery to close and heal to the point where you can actually start sitting on it again. A VAC dressing does not take away the need to stay completely off the wound at this point.

(KLD)

John you have been given some great advice. At first is seems so overwhelming. Pick one thing to set as a goal. Make it an achievable goal and work toward that one thing. Break it down into small pieces and start nibbling toward that goal. As you accomplish each small piece, the goal seems more possible. Don't be your worst enemy. If you want to be able to lift 10 lbs add .5 lbs at a time and celebrate every .5 increment. Ask your therapist to show you how to do wheelchair push ups even if all you can do is an isometric contraction. Think health and function and one day at a time.

John, welcome! The previous posters have given excellent advice, especially about the diligence with your pressure sore. Another physical improvement you can be thinking of is flexibility. Most of us struggle with this because of the nature of our injuries and nerve weirdness that can make joints tense. Along with strength training, have your PT help you find flexibility routines. Yoga is great for that and also can help control anxiety and give you a positive spin. There are yoga movements that can be done seated or reclining (after your sore has healed).

It probably seems overwhelming, so take control. Plan your diet and exercise each week. Make it your mission. Keep a journal of your observations and progress.

It is very possible to make positive changes in your situation. We all have limitations from our injuries but don't let them limit your mind or your potential. Paras, like you, can do amazing things and they don't need to be young and buff. Go for your dreams and make them happen.
    Last edited by truly; 08-19-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling

This has been really wonderful advice.

Going from bicep curls with 2 pounds to 5 pounds has been a lot of work for me. I would really like to see 30 pounds, and I've got doubts if that's possible for a 60 something couch potato. (My PT seems to have no doubts that the answer is no; maybe I need a new PT?)

I've neglected myself all my life, busy with job, raising kids, etc. To say the least, I wasn't a health nut. I'm trying to make a change now, better late than never.

I'm 67, my therapist didn't think I could walk on a tread mill, but I tried anyway on my own, and a year and a half later latter I'm still doing it. I started walking .5 miles at 1.8 rate. Now on a good day I can walk 1 mile at a rate of 2.8. My best days 1.5 miles at rate of 3.0. I won't win a marathon but I improved. I'm only using the walking as an example of improvement in maturity.

Our injuries are different. Your injury may prevent you from walking, but you can still strengthen your arms. Stop looking at 30 lbs. as your goal. Your goal should be 6 lbs. don't think past that until you achieve it. Yes it's a lot of work, but at our age, what else do we have to do all day. LOL. maybe your therapist would change his assessment if he saw that you believed in yourself and were determined to prove him wrong. Okay you WERE a couch potato, now you can't be. I'm going to keep bugging you until you lift 6 lbs. You can do it. It's not too late.

Truly is right, yoga is great. Look for a chair yoga class in your area. It is really gaining in popularity. I started a chair yoga class in January. It has made a huge difference in my breathing and postural tone. I have made some new friends who are positive and encouraging. My arms and hands are stronger, my neck and back are more flexible. I have learned how to meditate to calm myself. It is something I look forward to each week. Can't hurt to give it a try

okay I'm putting my soap box away. Sorry for nagging, but I'm an old lady, it's what we do.

Hi, I think a new PT is an excellent idea.

About this Low T stuff.. I got hurt at 21...right? All it did was take my mind off life a bit, get me to flirt hard with military nurses and the like . ok, so yo..I've been making fun of John Bohner (sp?) for year cause of his cryin (is it low T? visit lowT.com) I've been an amateur actor since 2003, NEVER could make myself cry. Then I was out one night, talking to this chick bout my late laborador ..and all of a sudden, I made myself CRY! ummm...something WRONG Here. Thought back to John Boehner....got myself a DIY test..sure and nuggest..there it was .! What am I doin different? Let's see...my GP was gonzo about high cholesterol (runs in my family ) a year back ... gave up beef, don't eat fish (I hate it)..at all, and no greens.... Classic limiting reagent problem! ZINC deficiency! Well....I stared a supplement....and as you can see, I'm writing this with enthusiasm at 4am my time. Yes, running the DIY test showed the problem was fixed.

The moral!? be VERY careful about what you do to your diet. question EVERY piece of advice a "doctor" gives you...do they REALLY know the pathology of a spinal injury and how it impacts how you're feeling? Unless you're hangin 10 at Miami Jackson, or at a specialized clinic, probably not. Don't be afraid to do your own research and work with your doc