Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably beating a dead horse on here... but I don't care..

Probably beating a dead horse on here... but I don't care..

So after getting stuck in the loose gravel next to my mailbox at 545pm tonight on a BUSY 2 lane highway in a borrowed midwheel drived powerchair.. I need to get something different. Something that insurance preferably pays for, narrow enough to fit in a van, and can handle being outside 95% of the time...

Needs:
    29.5" ish wide
    Able to handle grass, dirt, loose gravel, mud, snow, etc.. (within reason)
    decent battery life
    Good to decent close quarters mobility
    Something I can work on if needed

Track Chair is out of the question, to big to really be practical..

I have no idea what is really out there anymore.

What I want probably isn't available short of building my own, but maybe it is.

Ok.. Go!
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

You can get a free education on this topic here: wheelchairdriver.com

i know i do all the above except snow since i live in FL. in a quickie p220/p222 and i have a s646 that can handle the job. the 626 and 636 are on the same platform and are covered by most insurance since they are in the group 3 category... very easy to work on if your mechanically inclined . i know alot of people hate quickie but they are pretty sturdy from my perspective .... the great part is i also bought a programmer so i can tune the electronics ...i'd stay far away from a front or mid drive for your requests .... RWD only way to go ..... buy a cheap one on craigslist or ebay and try it out..

ps: theres also the permobil c-350 or street too but alot of insurance wont buy them ...

What GJ2 said. RWD is really your best option, followed by FWD but never, ever a mid-wheel for outdoor use.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I got a big Wheelchairs of Kansas chair, that's very heavy duty that I've been using the past few years, but the electric motors are starting to get weak, joy stick is shot after getting wet.

I know RWD is what I want.

RustyJames- I've been on that site before, I really like the lithium batteries. I really wanna build my own 4x4 chair, but its just not gonna happen right now.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

What insurance do you have? They can differ significantly in what they will cover. For example, Medicare says they will not cover anything that is needed for OUTDOOR accessibility/mobility, only inside the home.

(KLD)

I have UMR insurance through my employer, finally off of Medicare..
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Lots of people use a frontier by magic mobility for in and outside it seems to be the best of both worlds. I have a rwd Invacare storm with pneumatic 4" tires on the rear and air tires on the front. the wider tire option adds to outdoor aggressive handling on dirt and gravel. That would be an option to look for with any mfg.

The best thing to do is contact vendors and mfg's and arrange free demos.

As a short solution. Get a bad of cement, concrete or grout and dump it on the gravel. Spread it around. Add some water if its handy, or let it rain on it or let the dew work on it a few days. It'll glue the gravel together so you can roll on it.

My dream chair would one of these http://wheelchairs.com
    Last edited by Millard; 08-25-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne