Thread: thinking to do workouts at home

thinking to do workouts at home

Hi there,

I'm a quad, and in the last years I didn't do any exercises at home nor I didn't visit any rehab center. Recently I discovered the scitotalfitness.com website and its free cardio workout video. Two days ago I've replicate the exercises from that video for about 30minutes. I've put my best to replicate the exercises at the same amplitude and frequency folowing the video . Unfortunately I got tired and thirsty after 30 minutes, so I didn't follow the entire 40 minutes session. I was planing to do the full 40minutes session yesterday, but unfortunately I had some guests and I didn't do the exercises. Today I've tried to do my best in doing the exercises, but unfortunately I feel pain in my arms so I didn't continue. I've stopped after 6minutes . It's obviously that I've exaggerated in the first session. I know that this pain is also a good sign, but for now it makes difficult to follow the workout.

Now I really need your opinion and advices. What can I do in order to reduce/eliminate the muscle pain? I know that muscle soreness pass with more exercises, but for now it hurts. Are any drugs which can help me with this muscle pain? Do you have any recommendation for me in terms of food supplements, daily practices, tips & tricks?
    Last edited by quad.michael; 08-17-2014 at 05:40 AM.

You are experiencing DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). This is a normal occurrence after working your muscles harder than they are accustomed. It is usually at its worst ~2days after the stress occurs. The best way to deal with it is to take NSAIDs (Advil, Aleve, etc.) to reduce the pain and inflammation. Taking them soon after your workout tends to have the most benefit and will reduce the pain associated with DOMS.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

I would also suggest a slower entry to the workouts. Going from no workouts to 40 minutes is asking a lot of yourself. Instead, do the warm up portion of the workout, maybe 10 minutes of the workout and then the cool down portion. After you've done this for a week or so, ramp up to 15 or 20 minutes of the workout. It is hard to go at this sort of pace when you have made a decision to get fit. However, a slower introduction will help with the soreness and keep you more motivated, over time. It's not fun if it hurts and people are more likely to let their workouts slide if pain is involved.

Also, take days off. Maybe work for two days, day off, then another two days. When you've reached a level of fitness that allows you to do the entire workout, you're golden! You can then look for additional challenges.

I commend you for getting back to fitness. I've watched a sample video of the scitotalfitness program and think it's wonderful. I'm a para and can manage standing exercises, but at the beginning, I started with the same sort of exercises that are in those programs but it wasn't as much fun doing them by myself. Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by truly; 08-17-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: grammar

Yes, just like truly states. This all takes time if you were doing nothing. Even muscles that do work and were no being used will have serious strength loss. In addition to this, you need to get your brain coordinated with what your body is capable of doing in the state your body is. Your mind and eyes will tell you differently if you were previously capable. They will tell you, you still can. End result is what you are doing now. Set your goals at something that is achievable and can do repetitively and build from that. Do not start thinking you can accomplish all of this in "X" time. If you set achievable goals and begin to achieve them, you will being to feel and think a lot better. On top of that you can even begin to expand the goals. All of this though, takes time, but it works.