Thread: Backrest and excessive lordosis

Backrest and excessive lordosis

My backrest is an adi 13 inch w/ deep contour. When against the backrest my mid back doesn't touch so it's very uncomfortable and gives the appearance of my stomach potruding out. Do I need some sort of lumbar support? I'm up for suggestions on trying a completely new back. Maybe a stimulite sling adjustable or something with no contour.

If you do need additional lumbar support, I recommend the Jay 3. Thats what I use with both the large and small lumbar support blocks together for an even larger support for my curve. Have you spoken with an OT? I think the cause of the excessive curve would be important with how you deal with it, to ensure you don't make it worse.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I've been to a couple seating clinics around my area but haven't had much luck with OTs and ATPs assessing my posture/seating. I've been adjusting the back a lot on my own using the 2 point mounting hardware.

Stimulite has a sort of add-on lumbar support that can strap onto a chair. We go it for using in the car, but it sometimes helps when my husband has a sore back or needs more support and we use it with his ADI active contour back. It kind of sounds like your ADI back may be too narrow with the deep contour.
    Last edited by elarson; 08-17-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Are you a quad? I can't remember. If you are, could someone help you with a project?

How about purchasing some stiff foam, you should be able to find some at a crafts type store. With an electric carving knife you can cut the foam, and use industrial strength adhesive backed velcro to put velcro strips on the shell of your back (under the foam) and on the foam pieces you cut. If you want I can take photos of the foam blocks that I use with my Jay3 back and give the measurements, and you can see the way they velcro to the shell. It would be a much cheaper solution than purchasing a new back, it may be all you need, or at the least it could give you an answer of if more lumbar support would help or hurt.

Aesthetically I really like the ADI backs more than the Jay3 and I've thought about if I was to get one on my next chair to add the velcro to the shell and use the blocks from my Jay3. However I use a pretty tall back, and the top of the jay3 is slightly pointed which allows me support higher up my thoracic spine without blocking my shoulder blades, and all the photos of ADI backs I've seen show them flat across the top.

If the more support helps, you could also play around with other types of things such as making a bean bag support to velcro on (the Jay3 has those as an option as well). Maybe a chunk of memory foam if the stiff foam is too hard. Stimulite makes a lumbar support you can use on top of other backs, but they're pricey. So if you experiment cheaply first and see what you like, maybe you could order one of the stimulite lumbar supports. I'd really like one of those to improve airflow, I made a piece of sheepskin that goes over the lumbar section of my back to help add a little airflow for less sweat in my lumbar area.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Yeah, I'm a quad. I have some styrofoam that I may be able to use for lumbar support. I'll take a picture tomorrow. I've been working on stretching my hip flexors by laying prone and kind of pushing up on my arms, maybe that will help. I like your idea about memory foam though.

deep contour vs. active contour shouldn't have any effect on lordosis; that's more about lateral support.

if you shift your hips forward, does that help? reason:

I think ~Lin's idea about testing is a good one, especially with OTs and ATPs not providing much help.

Just in case it helps, this is the Stimulite Lumbar Support. It only has one strap near the top, so it's not the best if you really need to fix it well. It's also only about 1" at it's thickest point, so if you need a lot of support, it's probably too thin. It's quite stiff, so I don't know if it would mold into the deep contour back well, but it does reasonably well on the active contour back. I also don't like that you can't take the cover off because it is sewn shut, but you can wash it. On the Supracor site it's listed with an MSRP of $100 (was $75 last year!), but you can get it online at places like Bike-on.com or Amazon for cheaper.
    Name:  lrg-lumbar-support.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  116.2 KB
    I also saw this Fellowes Back Support cushion with memory foam on Amazon for $33 that looks like it could fit on an ADI back:
    Name:  714shAwOugL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  227.5 KB
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    deep contour vs. active contour shouldn't have any effect on lordosis; that's more about lateral support.

if you shift your hips forward, does that help? reason:

Looking at the photo, I sit exactly like the guy on the left. My chair is completely dumped which causes me to sit in a pocket. Thinking of taking an inch out and pulling my hips out. Would that help?

Sure, but I'd change one thing at a time. It's worth doing some experimenting with your current setup.