Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The future of titanium wheelchairs?

There is somewhere, not remember where, that actually has the weights of the fames them self. Also think it had the weight o every single component on the chair. Calculated total weight from all of this. Not know for sure, but I think diameter of frame tubing is wider on titanium than aluminum. The weight is reality, is not being presented to us by 2 identical frames with the only variable use 1 material versus the other.

I'm wondering how this trend is going to affect the rest of the world because what happens in the states often has a trickle down effect. I know social assistance in BC won't pay for a ti chair but there is provision for a person to contribute beyond the basic amount the ministry funds. Jeff are the government funders and private insurance funders in Canada following the U.S. trend of getting stingier about they will fund already or do you see it happening in the future?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    This got me curious. Any actual side by side weight comparisons with similar sized and outfitted chairs between Ti and steel? Back when I took my 2nd chair completely apart to replace the frame (Ti), I was surprised that the frame was one of the very lightest parts of the chair.
    I'm sure you can find something. The rub is, and always will be, that material vs material is an immaterial comparison!!

Each material enables engineering that brings out aspects of it's potential. It's a marriage of engineering, design, and material that produces the outcome. A Ti chair made exactly like an Al one would be WAY heavier. More so for steel. From tube engineering, to heat treat techniques, and a bunch of stuff in between, there are myriad variables at play which render "material vs material" debates more useful to marketing efforts, and perception management, than to us.

What we need is hype and buzz around total configuration control, which is the real loss to us with the retiring of the K0009 HCPCS code.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

@canuck - I don't think the CDN funding folks pay any attention to what's happening in the US. The BC funding is really concerning though - the decision-maker is really dug in on not providing anything more than absolutely necessary - she doesn't like the Icon because she doesn't think suspension is "necessary", and is seeming to not understand or doesn't care that it's included in our price - it's really odd, almost like she begrudges someone getting something nicer than the bare minimum. I had a hard time keeping my cool when I was talking to her.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Now that I'm a new car owner (Mazda5), I'm especially grateful to have an ultra-lightweight chair. I pull the chair into the back fully assembled and to remove the chair, I grip it one-handed by clinching the wheel against the side guard and lower it out. I could not do this with a chair larded up with options.
    And you haven't posted a video of this? Better get busy! lol

I want to try either a Mazda5 or that new generation Transit Connect to see if it would be more functional for winter, hauling stuff, etc. Mazda dealers around here are cluster F's, and still need to wander to Ford to check the other one. Havent seen any actual videos yet of either of these. So let's see it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    @canuck - I don't think the CDN funding folks pay any attention to what's happening in the US. The BC funding is really concerning though - the decision-maker is really dug in on not providing anything more than absolutely necessary - she doesn't like the Icon because she doesn't think suspension is "necessary", and is seeming to not understand or doesn't care that it's included in our price - it's really odd, almost like she begrudges someone getting something nicer than the bare minimum. I had a hard time keeping my cool when I was talking to her.

That's disturbing. Who's informing this bureaucrat as to what "minimal" means, medically speaking? I could get around in an old E&J folding "hospital" chair, technically. Is that where they're heading? Zero innovation in the mobility industry? Rolling the clock back 20 or more years to suit a bureaucrat's uninformed sensibilities?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

on BC, I'm guess I'm kind of used to the "as the u.s. goes so goes the rest of the world"

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    on BC, I'm guess I'm kind of used to the "as the u.s. goes so goes the rest of the world"
    That is just plain sad.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Yeah it is but it seems whatever happens in the states has some sort of trickle down effect in many different areas.

This is definitely one of my concerns over here in Europe. The Netherlands is making big cuts to care budgets and it is becoming more and more like the US. This is despite the fact that over the years we have paid a mandatory 12.5% payroll tax for long-term care and equipment like wheelchairs.

In my view, these austerity measures in healthcare rarely end up saving money in the long-term, but unfortunately, governments never think in those terms. If anyone is interested, this is a good book about the consequences of economic policies on health The Body Economic: Why Austerity Kills

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).