Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The future of titanium wheelchairs?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    @canuck - I don't think the CDN funding folks pay any attention to what's happening in the US. The BC funding is really concerning though - the decision-maker is really dug in on not providing anything more than absolutely necessary - she doesn't like the Icon because she doesn't think suspension is "necessary", and is seeming to not understand or doesn't care that it's included in our price - it's really odd, almost like she begrudges someone getting something nicer than the bare minimum. I had a hard time keeping my cool when I was talking to her.
    Yet they pay for power chairs with suspension all the time...

I'm cross-referecing this post to show why this is so messed up that US Medicaid rules have made getting a chair configured for the users needs so much more difficult, even if they are not on Medicaid: Is a ZRA worth the additional out of pocket cost over a AeroZ?

This does not even begin to address the needs of international customers, who are definitely NOT on Medicaid and NOT covered by US insurance companies.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Another concern I have is that presently chairs are replaceable by Medicare/Medicaid in the USA after 5 years. I fully expect that to become stretched to 8, even 10 years. So that makes me want a titanium chair for these reasons:
    1-durability/longevity without complicated frame repair
    2-lighter weight to load into car, so I can get to work--Medicare only considers in-home use
    3-avoiding injury from fall trying to maneuver chair over obstacles, partially supporting my weight by hanging off something or standing while I lift chair with other hand
    4-vibration absorption to not exacerbate spasms and joint pain/swelling, as I definitely feel the difference between ti & al
    5-resistance to corrosion from salt in winter and ability to maintain a respectable appearance despite inevitable scrapes

My husband only gets a chair every 7 years. I'm very happy that his chair is titanium for all of the reasons you mentioned.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

My titanium is built like a brick. Have replaced tires a few times. Scissor lock multiple times - spring always breaks. Other than this, the thing is great. Did break my leg later part of 2014. Did use Medicare to replace ancient Quickie, but replacement AeroZ. Still got screwed paying $1700 for the 20% + add-ons Spinergy and a few others. I no millionaire, but just prepare myself for the crazy cost.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveWolf View Post
    Another concern I have is that presently chairs are replaceable by Medicare/Medicaid in the USA after 5 years. I fully expect that to become stretched to 8, even 10 years. So that makes me want a titanium chair for these reasons:
    1-durability/longevity without complicated frame repair
    2-lighter weight to load into car, so I can get to work--Medicare only considers in-home use
    3-avoiding injury from fall trying to maneuver chair over obstacles, partially supporting my weight by hanging off something or standing while I lift chair with other hand
    4-vibration absorption to not exacerbate spasms and joint pain/swelling, as I definitely feel the difference between ti & al
    5-resistance to corrosion from salt in winter and ability to maintain a respectable appearance despite inevitable scrapes
    I don't feel any difference between Ti & Al in terms of vibration absorption, and I live in a town full of old bumpy streets & sidewalks. If there is any difference, it's certainly not enough to reduce spasms or swelling, based on my experience.

Chairs with true suspension are an entirely different story.

If compare my Quickie GTi(titanium) and Oracing F2(aluminum), the aluminum flex more than titanium.

When ride on uneven ground, the aluminum chair feel like waving on water.

The titanium GTi is much stiffer than the aluminum, so to say that titanium absorb vibration better,I will not totally agree.

May be on space shuttle really tell the difference.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

I tried for years to get a Quickie Titanium wheelchair from my insurance (Medicare and Medicaid), but was unsuccessful. They kept denying my claim, saying that it was too expensive. They even refused to pay for anything that Tilite or Colours made, even if it wasn't titanium. I eventually had to just give up getting a titanium wheelchair and get the lightest weight Quickie aluminum manual wheelchair I could find.

Jessie