Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I had my evaluation at the rehab center - Tilite ZRA is ORDERED!

Good to hear they approved everything. Here is the link to D's Locks http://www.dslocks.net.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Congrats man I have a tilite aero x and I love it almost got the zra but do to the car we have I needed a folder .let's see some pics when you get it 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsey View Post
    This will be my first custom chair although I've been a chair user for about 18 months now. I can't wait!

I had my evaluation at Good Shepherd rehab in Allentown PA. They complimented me on knowing what I was talking about - thanks, guys! All my lurking really paid off.

My current rig is a Quickie GPV that I got used and that I hate. It's heavy, my cushion is thin and firm, I can't grip the handrims properly so I grip my entire wheel and my hands get disgusting, and it's too wide for me. :P I don't have a SCI, but I do have a progressive neuromuscular disease and have limited function all around, primarily on the left side and am gradually losing function in that leg. We're waiting on insurance to approve everything now.

The new setup:

Tilite ZRA
    White Pearl with Sub-Lime anodized package (I'm gentle with my chair and don't load it myself so the paint will stay nice )
    15" wide
    16" deep
    19" front to floor height (I think 17" to footrest, I don't remember!)
    16" seat to floor, but the OT said I can lower that to increase the dump if I need to
    Jay Go cushion - they tried me on a few options but this was the softest and hurt the least, especially my tailbone
    Jay3 back
    Natural fit rims on standard spokes with solid tires - I know air is better, but I physically can't do tire maintenance so the tradeoff was worth it to me
    5" softroll casters
    Scissor lock brakes
    Fold down push handles

I really am looking forward to feeling comfortable in my chair, it's going to be so nice to be able to actually STAY in it for more than two hours without having to be back in bed because of the pain and lack of proper support. I'm just hoping insurance doesn't pitch a fit about things like the handrims (I can't see why they would since I have limited hand function and physically can't grip the other handrims, but you never know!) I'd really like to thank this entire forum because if I didn't know what I was talking about going into things, I wouldn't have been able to ask for the things I need - the solid back for positioning and most importantly an adjustable chair over something that wasn't.
    Welcome to the TiLite family.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Thanks guys!

I'll definitely provide lots of pictures when it arrives - and thank you for showing me those D's locks, those are awesome and definitely something to consider!

Unfortunately I've lost a lot of arm function in the last ~12 months, especially in the last ~6 since I'm in a period of decline (I'll plateau again, hopefully soon) and though I was already considering one, it happened sooner than I really wanted it to - I've become a part time power chair user for any trips longer than an hour and anywhere we know there'll be uneven terrain. I'm hoping the new Ti is easier to use than my Quickie, because it would be nice to be independent in a manual chair again and not need someone else's help to get up every incline, curb cut, and slightly-sloped floor in existence.

I'm hoping it eases some of my respiratory issues if I'm positioned better and not working so hard just to stay upright, but I guess we'll see. I also asked them about e-motions, since it was something I wanted to consider, but they didn't have any for me to try and said insurance probably wouldn't cover them for me anyway.

I hope the ZRA makes things easier for you.

Just as a note, if you only need power some of the time, you might want to look into the ZX-1 Power Add-on by Spinergy. Unlike e-Motion wheels, it can be connected and disconnected only for when you need it. There is a ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread and I recently wrote a review about it: ZX-1 Review.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsey View Post
    I also asked them about e-motions, since it was something I wanted to consider, but they didn't have any for me to try and said insurance probably wouldn't cover them for me anyway.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I hope the ZRA makes things easier for you.

Just as a note, if you only need power some of the time, you might want to look into the ZX-1 Power Add-on by Spinergy. Unlike e-Motion wheels, it can be connected and disconnected only for when you need it. There is a ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread and I recently wrote a review about it: ZX-1 Review.
    Thank you! Also something to look into, I've seen it before but wasn't sure how well they worked and was hesitant to think about investing that much money (especially when insurance is fudgy about things) when, in a few years, I might need full time power, you know?
    Not SCI - Progressive neurological disease with secondary dysautonomia.

Soooooo...

After signing off on my CAD and expecting far more of a wait...

My chair is READY!

I pick it up Friday morning at 9 am - best Christmas present ever!!

Have you looked into the Smart Drive power assist? I think its a much better option than the emotion wheels personally.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Have you looked into the Smart Drive power assist? I think its a much better option than the emotion wheels personally.

I haven't, but I actually saw something about it just yesterday and I was intrigued! I'll have to check it out and do some more research.

I'll have better pictures later, including some of me in it, BUUUUUT... here it is!

Name:  tumblr_nh752xNuLo1qdtfrso1_1280.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  466.5 KB

It's funny, they changed their wheelchair services building over at the hospital, so the floor is now a very spongy foam with sort of a tacky rubber on top - which meant that when they asked me to push a couple times, I couldn't... at all. Between the tacky tile, my ALREADY struggling with pushing a manual chair, and the solid tires, I started to panic. Of course, then someone helped me out to the tile floor in the hall and let me try there... and it was a million times easier, and a much, much smoother ride than my other one. I'm in love, and I'm so pleased with the colors - and the Jay back is wonderful!