Thread: New Mariner Rehab Shower Commode seat too hard and opening too small...question?

New Mariner Rehab Shower Commode seat too hard and opening too small...question?

I just received my Mariner Rehab Shower Commode Chair...Love it!! 2 problems: The seat is WAYYYY too hard and the opening is not big enough.

I figure the hardness can be addressed with a ROHO commode seat on top....but the hole not being big enough is a concern.

Has anyone tried cutting one of these seats with an electric knife or something to make the opening bigger? I know you can adjust the seat 4 different ways, but it doesn't work doing that either.

I am just at a loss as to how to fix it....any thoughts?

Not sure that an electric knife would cut through the base if that is your plan. Most have at least a 1/2" thick piece of plywood for their base. You would want to make sure that it is sealed real well too. A little leak will rot the wood pretty quickly. I make my own using a sheet of 1/2" lexan and EVA foam and neoprene layered for the cushion. It's lasted a lot longer than any of the replacements that I have bought and it can be made for half the cost if not more of what you would pay for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    Not sure that an electric knife would cut through the base if that is your plan. Most have at least a 1/2" thick piece of plywood for their base. You would want to make sure that it is sealed real well too. A little leak will rot the wood pretty quickly. I make my own using a sheet of 1/2" lexan and EVA foam and neoprene layered for the cushion. It's lasted a lot longer than any of the replacements that I have bought and it can be made for half the cost if not more of what you would pay for a replacement.
    Can you post a pic!! I think that is the way to go!! How do yo seal.it? With staples? Glue?

If you are inquiring about building like the one that I use, contact cement, the materials that I listed and a means to anchor it to your chair. It really isn't necessary to seal. The materials will absorb very little water if any but I just purchased a piece of vinyl material and glued it to the cushion. The neoprene can be slick when wet. For me, the vinyl adds a little traction to help when transferring.

If you can use a jigsaw, it's very simple to make, the materials won't break down like some of the cushions that I have purchased and it is cheaper. I will post a picture if I can figure out how to. Also, the pattern that I cut, I extended a front corner to close the gap between my bed and chair. It serves as a somewhat sliding board.

Would be very interested as we tried wrapping vinyl without success. How did you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    If you are inquiring about building like the one that I use, contact cement, the materials that I listed and a means to anchor it to your chair. It really isn't necessary to seal. The materials will absorb very little water if any but I just purchased a piece of vinyl material and glued it to the cushion. The neoprene can be slick when wet. For me, the vinyl adds a little traction to help when transferring.

If you can use a jigsaw, it's very simple to make, the materials won't break down like some of the cushions that I have purchased and it is cheaper. I will post a picture if I can figure out how to. Also, the pattern that I cut, I extended a front corner to close the gap between my bed and chair. It serves as a somewhat sliding board.