Thread: Tablet for digital art.

Tablet for digital art.

I want to do the illustrations for my children's book and since I'm doing a lot of bed-rest, doing them on paper/canvas is impractical. I figured a tablet would suffice, but I don't have a lot to spend. I need a 9+ inch screen but it doesn't have to do much else other than the art programs.
    Anyone have a suggestion? Used ipad, cheaper android type tablet, other?

Found a bunch of refurbished Android tablets out on New Egg that hover around $200 - 250.
    There is at least one good drawing program that I know of that you can download for free - I downloaded SketchBox --use it for doodling on the train. Pretty neat coloring features, etc.

I bought a refurbished Nexus 7 from them about 2 years ago - never had any trouble. The ones I filtered on just now all have 9 inch or greater screens.

Good luck!
    Last edited by garvey; 08-10-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    Found a bunch of refurbished Android tablets out on New Egg that hover around $200 - 250.
    There is at least one good drawing program that I know of that you can download for free - I downloaded SketchBox --use it for doodling on the train. Pretty neat coloring features, etc.

I bought a refurbished Nexus 7 from them about 2 years ago - never had any trouble. The ones I filtered on just now all have 9 inch or greater screens.

Good luck!
    Thanks... Do you know if the android tablets on par with ipads when it comes to basic performance?

Sorry, but I can't make a comparison as I've only used Android devices. Maybe others on the forum can give a perspective on the iPad.
    I think it's safe to say that you'll probably get more for you're money on the Android side.

Not sure if you want a digitizing art tablet for PC, but I use an older model Wacom Bamboo for drawing. Most professionals use this approach (more expensive tablets). Wacom like this or other make.

My brother told me that Wacom offers an app that will work on touchscreen PC.

I'll be drawing using a stylus attached to a mouthstick, so a wacom pad wouldn't work while in bed. I'll keep looking for affordable tablets.

Samsung and Huawei have decent tablets, but they are still a bit pricey. Maybe using some kind of contraption to help you draw while in bed, I don't know.