Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Wheelchairs/Components in General, and Specifically for TiLite Aero Z

Hey, everybody. Thanks for all your posts today. I've been busy, so I haven't been able to reply (I will), but I was able to read them earlier today; right before I spoke to the DME's assistant, actually.

Giving credit where credit is due, she was very helpful. She answered more of my questions in a 30'ish minute phone call than anyone else had in weeks.

To make a long story short (for once), she answered my questions, went through the order form with me, and I told her what I wanted. I asked, and I quote, "Is there any way in hell these components will be approved," and she assured me they were good at writing reports. So, I am cautiously optimistic. We shall see.

There were a couple of questions she couldn't answer about options, and she said she would get back to me tomorrow.

Oh, and thank you to everyone who suggested I get things in writing. She said she is going to send me a copy of the order form and the quote. Regarding the CAD, she said she has never had anyone ask her for one, so she had to ask about if they can/how to do it.

Anyway, like I said, at least I'm feeling better about things right now and we'll see how it plays out. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    And that sort of shit happens constantly. In fact I see it all the time where people are complaining about their wheelchairs, and tell others not to buy a specific frame chair.... But the problem they have is actually with the other components on the chair. Like they hate the wheels, they hate the casters, they hate the brakes.... So don't buy X frame chair! But WAIT, none of that has anything to do with the frame/model. Or, the chair is too big, its too hard to push because the wheels are set so far back, Its so high off the ground..... So don't buy X frame chair! But they don't understand all the problems they hate are not the manufacturer or frame's fault, but due to the sizing and positioning choices that were made when the chair was ordered. Drives me nuts. In an ideal world the people you expect to be experts would be experts and perfectly speccing out every chair they sell. But of course thats not ever going to happen, because the business is more about money to them than customer service. Time is money, so extra time for training or to spend with clients isn't ok. Next best would be if everyone would educate themselves about such a life altering decision as what wheelchair they use and how its put together size and option wise. But I guess again time is money, its easier to blame the manufacturer.
    Jesus Christ, your tire story is ridiculous.

You raise a good point with this post. I know myself, before starting to do all of this research, I knew next to nothing (well, in the grand scheme of things, I still do, haha) about all the components of a chair. Though, I knew enough not to blame not liking tires on the frame, haha. Anyway, this is definitely something I am going to continue studying, especially now that my health is pretty stable and I am at a point where I want to be able to customize things whenever and however I choose.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    You asked about push-rims. It is unlikely you will buy any wheels that don't use 6 tab handrims. Most can be interchanged between wheels, and it's not hard to do. I have even changed them without removing the tires; they were tires with solid inserts. But who does this? Most people who have more than one set of wheels keep the handrims with the wheels. Two sets of wheels - two sets of handrims.

Handrims come in different materials like steel, aluminum, and yes, my favorite which I can't afford, titanium. They come in different shapes like standard round tube or ergonomic. I like both. They come in different finishes like conventionally painted, powder coated, rubber, and anodized.

Again, choices for you to make. But again, they can be changed later. They will eventually get scratched or gouged and need replacing anyway, even if you like you wheels enough to keep them forever.
    Thank you for this, and your previous post about tires.

I think I'm getting solids shipped with the chair, and then will looking into getting pneumatics to try them out after I have time to research what type I would like.

Same with push rims. I got the standard kind (though colored black), but I like the thought of having some that have more grip to them.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    X2. if they don't roll in, then they don't have a clue.
    That's a great point.

And I still have yet to sign anything, so we'll see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    There is a lot of debate between titanium and aluminum, so I won't go into that here. It is often difficult if not impossible to get titanium chairs covered by Medicare/Medicaid or private insurance. HCPCS codes (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System) are used for Durable Medical Equipment (DME) for Medicare and Medicaid to determine what is covered. Even if you have private insurance, most of them go by Medicare/Medicaid rules and ultimately use HCPCS codes to determine what is eligible. Aluminum Ultra Lightweights usually carry HCPCS K0005, while titanium carry K0009. Unless you have medical justification for titanium, you will probably be denied.

What I mentioned with the footrest is not shown as the "Anodized option" in the options brochure or on the website. You want to look at the what I mentioned in my post that shows the footrest tube (not just clamps) can also be provided in other colors. I don't have experience with this, but you could ask the dealer about it, or perhaps someone else knows.

A good online dealer can special order the LX hubs in black e.g., http://bike-on.com or http://www.sportaid.com.
    I flat-out asked them if they thought I would get approved, and they said it shouldn't be a problem, so we will see. I know their word isn't law, but it was at least temporarily comforting.

As for the footrest, she is going to ask is they can have it done. Same with hubs.

I'm only going to reply to this, but I did read all of your other posts, and I very much appreciate all the info. I'm taking notes, not just for this chair, but for the future. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    We have quite a bit in common. I cannot stand and walk, can move my legs a little, but they are very weak, quads are nearly non existent. Full sensation above knees, not so good below knees and especially poor on feet. I do however enjoy the outdoors. I bring all this up because I think you should consider trying a chair without a footrest or one with flip up footrests. I normally run without a footrest. The only time I use one is if I know I am going to be pushed or if I plan to use my power SmartDrive for long distances. Not using a footrest gives a sense of freedom and keeps some activity going on in the legs which helps with circulation. I've had one bout with DVT and definitely do not want that to happen again. I hope you can consider this option. You would probably have to choose a different chair, but there are other great chairs. The sweet thing about the AeroZ is it's adjust-ability and you don't know your specs since your current chair is not dialed in. BTW, it too is very adjustable. You could learn a lot of what you need just by playing around with it it if you are at all mechanically inclined. I did. I'm sitting on a GPV now (with no footrest).
    I appreciate the suggestion, thanks.

I do exercise my legs by having my feet flat on the floor and pushing/pulling myself a long, but I don't think I like the idea of being out and about and not having one while I'm speeding along.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    T
    I think I'm getting solids shipped with the chair, and then will looking into getting pneumatics to try them out after I have time to research what type I would like.
    Just be aware that you usually cannot remove solids without cutting them off, making them unusable. So don't order a set of wheels with solids to later put pneumatics on without being prepared to cut them off. While you can always remove pneumatics safely without damage and switch to solids. If you want to keep the solids on the wheels they come on, you have no problem. But if you're in doubt you may want to start with pneumatics so you can switch to solids if you don't like them, without risking having to completely waste the solids. And so if you say are going to get spinergys with the chair and purchase cheaper wheels separately as a back up and want the solids on the cheaper wheels, you wouldn't want to order them on the spinergys since you wouldn't be able to swap them without damage.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

get the cad. I never spec a chair for my customers or myself without the user signing and dating that cad. the fact that who your dealing with doesn't know this tells me they shouldn't be helping you.

That's a great point.

And I still have yet to sign anything, so we'll see how it plays out.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Same with push rims. I got the standard kind (though colored black), but I like the thought of having some that have more grip to them.
    You should know that more grip equals more friction. If you have good hand strength, I recommend not getting coated or even standard painted handrims. They may be better gripping, especially when wet; but they are murder controlling downhill. I used to burn my hands badly from friction with just painted handrims. Get black anodized.

Thanks for the update Chas. I had read about this happening, but did not realize it already happened. I've made a separate post about this, so it does not get all mixed up in this one. See The future of titanium wheelchairs?

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I'm pretty sure K0009 was redefined within HCPCS about a year ago; Tilite no longer uses it. Thus my earlier comment:

Still true with the recoding.

notice absence of HCPCS code
    on the TR3 (titanium frame) order form:
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).