Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Wheelchairs/Components in General, and Specifically for TiLite Aero Z

indemedical.com lists it as a per wheel price. I made the same mistake once.

Many online dealers will also price match if you find it somewhere else cheaper. Be sure to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    On the TiLite order form, the Twin-Star Exchange wheels are $895.

I just looked on indemedical.com and they have them for $289!

Is that real? Are they really that much cheaper and the same wheel? It looks as though that price is for 1, but even for the pair that's damn near $400 cheaper.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I would order standard Shadows with the chair with a standard tire (or solids if they will cover it) with push rims. Order the Twin-Stars seperately with Marathon Plus tires. When I ordered Spinergy LX's from Sportaid I had them shipped with the Marathon Plus tires already installed. Swap out the push rims and you are ready to go with the Twin-Stars, but still have backup wheels and tires to use in a pinch. Relatively speaking, tires are cheap.

Check to make sure that the rims are compatible, and make sure you get tires of a similar profile on the Shadows and that the hub widths are compatible. Here is a long thread about a swapout from Shadows to Spinergy LX's. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-Spinergy-LX-s

So, let's say I buy those Twin-Stars from that site. They don't come with a tire and push rims already on them, correct? If not, which is what I assume, are you saying that chances are I will need to buy a second set of push rims for them, too? What's the easiest way to tell which push rims are compatible with which wheels before ordering them? Because, the push rims I'm looking at on that site don't specify any compatabilities.

The tires, yes, that was my plan. I was hoping I could get a relatively nice set through the DME/insurance, and then just have them taken off the stock wheels and put on whatever I buy. If not, I would buy separate tires of course, but the former would be cheaper.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I totally agree. Usually they put the most light wieght components on demo chairs, e.g., brakes, wheels, tires, etc., because what they are usually pitching is the weight. Do all of your own homework and assume that you are mostly on your own. When you have questions, post them here and to the dealer. Quite often the answers are not in sync. Even if it all takes longer, it's better than getting something you don't want or can't use or costs you a load of money.

You know, the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off...

Just to be sure, I would check the TiLite e-parts store on this also.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Great comment!
    From Out-Front's order form: the Shadow and Gold Twin Star both use 6-pt tab mount handrims:

Thanks, Andy. I appreciate it. I'm told I sit very well, but the strap back I have right now is amazingly uncomfortable. Part of me thinks a solid back would be much better, but then they did say that I just need a very small/short back, so I don't know.
    It may be your current back setup is at the wrong angle or too narrow. I have two identical chairs, one has 15 inch backrest spacing for the uprights for the tension adjustable backrest and the other has 16 inch. All other dimensions match, only the width of the chairs are different. I love the 16 inch chair and can use it all day long, however I feel cramped in the 15 inch one and can not stay in it very long.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'm told I sit very well, but the strap back I have right now is amazingly uncomfortable. Part of me thinks a solid back would be much better, but then they did say that I just need a very small/short back, so I don't know.
    I have this problem with taller backrests. They feel like they're constantly pushing me forward, if I have the angle set upright like I prefer. Since there's no thick padding to sink into with the fabric, they're not very forgiving. I like a low backrest. They come in ranges and are adjustable. Just order the lowest range and dial it in yourself; you have to find that sweet spot. You may also have to loosen the fabric tension to give the back a little curve. After all, your back isn't flat. No matter how much time and effort you spend with ordering-specs, you will have to adjust some things when you get them. That's what's good about buying something adjustable Like the Aero Z.
    Last edited by ala; 08-11-2014 at 03:36 PM.

...clip...I cannot stand and walk at all, no. I can move my legs, but they definitely aren't that strong. Above the knees, I have great sensation. Below, it lessens the lower you go, but even on my feet I can tell when something touches them. I'm normally in blacktopped/cement areas. I'm not an outdoorsman, haha. Otherwise, I'm inside, on hardwood floors. I do have leg spasms...clip...
    We have quite a bit in common. I cannot stand and walk, can move my legs a little, but they are very weak, quads are nearly non existent. Full sensation above knees, not so good below knees and especially poor on feet. I do however enjoy the outdoors. I bring all this up because I think you should consider trying a chair without a footrest or one with flip up footrests. I normally run without a footrest. The only time I use one is if I know I am going to be pushed or if I plan to use my power SmartDrive for long distances. Not using a footrest gives a sense of freedom and keeps some activity going on in the legs which helps with circulation. I've had one bout with DVT and definitely do not want that to happen again. I hope you can consider this option. You would probably have to choose a different chair, but there are other great chairs. The sweet thing about the AeroZ is it's adjust-ability and you don't know your specs since your current chair is not dialed in. BTW, it too is very adjustable. You could learn a lot of what you need just by playing around with it it if you are at all mechanically inclined. I did. I'm sitting on a GPV now (with no footrest).
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

@Nonoise, I don't mean to confuse the conversation, but I'm curious if the same could be accomplished with flip-back footrests or high mount individual flip-up footrests with DU100082 front frame rigidizer bar on Page 48 of the Designs Unlimited Catalog? They are possible on the Aero Z, just not the standard individual flip-ups with the Aero Z.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    We have quite a bit in common. I cannot stand and walk, can move my legs a little, but they are very weak, quads are nearly non existent. Full sensation above knees, not so good below knees and especially poor on feet. I do however enjoy the outdoors. I bring all this up because I think you should consider trying a chair without a footrest or one with flip up footrests. I normally run without a footrest. The only time I use one is if I know I am going to be pushed or if I plan to use my power SmartDrive for long distances. Not using a footrest gives a sense of freedom and keeps some activity going on in the legs which helps with circulation. I've had one bout with DVT and definitely do not want that to happen again. I hope you can consider this option. You would probably have to choose a different chair, but there are other great chairs. The sweet thing about the AeroZ is it's adjust-ability and you don't know your specs since your current chair is not dialed in. BTW, it too is very adjustable. You could learn a lot of what you need just by playing around with it it if you are at all mechanically inclined. I did. I'm sitting on a GPV now (with no footrest).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    . . . Aluminum Ultra Lightweights usually carry HCPCS K0005, while titanium carry K0009.
    I'm pretty sure K0009 was redefined within HCPCS about a year ago; Tilite no longer uses it. Thus my earlier comment:

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    . . . All their <Tilite> Aero Brand chairs have aluminum frames <coded K0005> (a few have titanium frame upgrades <now coded K0108> because of government/Medicare pricing rules - long, tedious story) . . .
    . . .Unless you have medical justification for titanium, you will probably be denied . . .

Still true with the recoding.

Name:  K0005 & K0108 for Aeroz.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  HCPCs 2014 K0108.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  HCPCs 2014 K1-K10.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  52.8 KB

notice absence of HCPCS code
    on the TR3 (titanium frame) order form:

Name:  TR3 no HCPCS.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  25.2 KB
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

@Nonoise, I don't mean to confuse the conversation, but I'm curious if the same could be accomplished with flip-back footrests or high mount individual flip-up footrests with DU100082 front frame rigidizer bar on Page 48 of the Designs Unlimited Catalog? They are possible on the Aero Z, just not the standard individual flip-ups with the Aero Z.
    I don't know. The chair I am sitting in now would need a minimum of 8 inches between the ridgidizer bar and the center of the swivel point for the casters.