Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Wheelchairs/Components in General, and Specifically for TiLite Aero Z

Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    I don't have an Aero Z but have trialled one in the past (and should have gone for it) and am currently in the process of ordering a ZRA.

Marathons ARE listed on the current Aero Z order form--top of page 6, '24" (540), 25" (559) and 26" (590) Schwalbe(R) Marathon Plus Evolution (Not available with Mag Rear Wheels)....$125'. That's them. $125 is a bit more than you'd pay for the tyres alone ordered from SportAid or somewhere, but they're not all that easy to fit so I'd be quite comfortable paying a bit extra to have TiLite do that. I think these would be great tyres for you as they're reasonably puncture-proof, black, with some tread but not too much, and high pressure. (You should look to invest in an appropriate tyre pump or air compressor if you don't have one already.)

Your anxiety about this process is natural and most likely for the best. While many of the people working in the field genuinely want you to be delighted with your new chair, very few will actually take the time (and have the knowledge!) to get everything 100% right. You should take the time to learn how the measurements are done and do your own measuring, don't just believe that they know what they're doing. Perhaps they do, but there are enough bad apples that you shouldn't assume that YOUR apple is most likely a good one. (If you are happy with the length and geometry of the chair you currently use--or if you LOVE the demo chair in these respects--check out this info on Occupied Frame Length, which is a way of comparing chairs. https://picasaweb.google.com/1124921...?noredirect=1# You can request that TiLite include this measurement on your CAD so you can compare. If so, you'll need to instruct your DME what to ask for, as s/he won't know.)

Sideguards are personal preference, but they aren't generally a bad idea. They do help to keep your clothes clean, especially in winter (some people use their guards only in winter), they give you a way of holding in extra fabric like a heavy coat, and they mean if you run a narrow chair (or you yourself get wider!) you can keep using the chair without a lot of rubbing against the wheels.

Don't get push handles if you don't want or need them. Provided you get the 4" deep rigidizer bar, you can always buy aftermarket bolt-on push handles if you have an injury or something that means you're going to need to be pushed for a while. IMHO you should get this rigidizer bar anyway, because as others have mentioned it works better with solid backs, and also because there are other things you might want to bolt on to it which can't be bolted on to the rounded one. Eg if you use a FreeWheel it can be stored on a 'perch' on the rigidizer bar. (If you don't have a FreeWheel, do look into them. If you plan to use a FreeWheel, this should also factor into your choice of footrests.)

If your insurance won't cover 'fancy' wheels, don't feel at all bad about getting the no-cost wheels (TiLite Shadows) with a view to buying the wheels you actually want from SportAid, BikeOn, Round Betty, or somewhere else online. Both Spinergy LX and Round Betty Dinos can be ordered with black hubs and spokes. With the Spinergies it's a special order and costs extra; with the Round Bettys it appears to be a no-cost option, and SportAid offers black-with-black Dinos as a standard option. In the meantime, the Shadows have a reasonably low-key black look, with matte black spokes and a black hub. The hub has a sticker you can probably remove without too much difficulty.

Many folks working in this field have an unquestioned belief that 24" wheels are normal and suitable for all adults and larger wheels are only for "tall guys" or some other special group. As several of us smaller women on this board will tell you, there are other reasons for preferring larger wheels--like improved reach! If you have the opportunity to try bigger wheels before you pull the trigger on this purchase, I recommend it.

Cushions are vital, both for health and for wheelchair fit. If you take measurements based on your existing cushion and then order the chair with a new cushion which is noticeably thinner or thicker, the fit of your chair will be off. This sounds blatantly obvious, but I've fallen afoul of OTs who think they can find me the right cushion AFTER the chair's arrived. If you're sticking with the same cushion you have currently, because it works for you and doesn't cause problems, then you can ignore this paragraph.

I'm cheap. If I had your level of hand/arm function, I would choose from the no-cost wheel lock options and buy an alternative aftermarket if I didn't like them after a couple of months.

I really recommend taking your time, double-checking everything, working on the assumption that the 'experts' mean well but aren't necessarily as expert as they make out, ensuring you have a paper trail so you can prove that, for instance, you did not want push handles and should not have to pay for them if they turn up, requesting your CAD and posting it here for comment.

This is a difficult process and can be extremely frustrating--but not as frustrating as getting a shiny new chair that you can't or don't want to USE. Best of luck!
    Yeah, I saw they were listed, but I was originally looking for a solid tire. Everyone has been telling me that's a bad plan, though, so I am currently re-thinking it, haha. It just seems like there's a lot that could go wrong with air, even though I understand they are much smoother.

Thank you for that link. I'm going to look at it shortly.

Yeah, that's why I'm considering getting the side guards (even though I like the look better without them) because, having never used this particular chair before, I don't know how tight it'll be. As for the handles, yeah, I'm standing (figuratively speaking, of course) firm and not getting them, haha. I said I wanted the back bar in the beginning and I'll be damned if they don't get it. I was just using the handles as an example of how this has gone so far.

If insurance doesn't approve it, I will definitely check out those sites. Thank you.

As for the bigger wheels, that leads me to another issue I have: I haven't been able to try much, and won't be able to. I don't know if you saw earlier, but I'm 6'4'', so for either reasoning, I might like the bigger wheels, haha.

If I ever get a call back, the first thing I'm bringing up will be getting my CAD. Thank you!

Trivia: I believe TiLite owns Out-Front (Who makes Shadow and Twin Star wheels as well as some pushrims and locks).

Also, Tilite will not provide a CAD drawing until after a chair is formally ordered.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    . . .Yeah, that's why I'm considering getting the side guards (even though I like the look better without them) because, having never used this particular chair before, I don't know how tight it'll be. . .
    To check for comfortable/proper seat width/tightness, sit on the floor dressed as you would be normally (e.g., full pockets, jacket, etc.) with one hip against a door. Set a large book on end vertically against your other hip, and have someone measure your seated width (between the door and book).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Trivia: I believe TiLite owns Out-Front (Who makes Shadow and Twin Star wheels as well as some pushrims and locks).
    You know, the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

They trotted this beautiful looking chair (save the colors, haha) out with all of this really nice stuff on it. It had really soft push rims, the tires were smooth, the wheels looked great, I was able to cross the entire room with one half-assed push. I loved it.

Not once do they mention that literally everything about it is not what you are going to receive, unless you're willing to pony up a lot of cash.

Can you imagine going to buy a car, and you test drive it, and you love it, and you tell them that is the care you want. And when it's delivered, you get a car that is kind-of-sort-of the car that you wanted, but without all of the things that made you love it in the first place, and all of the chances have been made at the dealer's discretion without asking for your input at all? And somehow you're in the wrong if you question the process?

It's wrong. Even if that's how they've done things for as long as wheelchairs have been sold, I just don't agree with it. Even if the changes being made are only cosmetic (which we both know isn't the case; different components change how the chair feels and works), it's still wrong because these things basically become a part of us. They need to represent us, and for that to happen, they need to look how we want them to look. Could they imagine dressing in an outfit they absolutely hated every single day of the week? I bet not.

Sorry for the little rant. I'm been hardcore researching this stuff for the past week and a half or so, and getting ignored by them so much, it just has me pissed off.

I really do appreciate all your (and everyone else) input, though.

Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    Just thought I'd ask for clarification on this one. Are you thinking about having push rims swapped from one set of wheels to another? Because there are sometimes compatibility issues there--different numbers of tabs and bolts (or rivnuts) at different intervals. You can't necessarily fit the push rims from a generic wheel set onto Spinergies, for instance. But if you're just thinking about tyre changes, the push rims don't have to come off for that at all.
    Great comment!

From Out-Front's order form: the Shadow and Gold Twin Star both use 6-pt tab mount handrims:

Name:  wheels.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  41.6 KB
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You know, the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off . . .
    Sorry for the little rant. . . .
    I really do appreciate all your (and everyone else) input, though.
    Yep.
    No need to be sorry.
    You're most welcome. We've all been there, which is why we're so eager and willing to help.

Note: You've only just begun to learn. I'm still learning. Life in a wheelchair needs to be as fun as possible - the equipment is part of us - it's our legs for heavens sake. ABs (Able Bodies) just don't get it (or very, very few do).

A properly configured chair will set you free beyond your wildest imaginings. Obtaining one is far more complex and personal than buying most anything else. It's taken me four years of tweaking a great chair to get it configured nearly perfectly. I'm actually a bit nervous about transferring all my adjustable-chair (AeroZ) tweaks/settings to a non-adjustable TR.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 08-11-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Also, Tilite will not provide a CAD drawing until after a chair is formally ordered.
    The DME claims that nothing has been ordered yet, and was supposed to call me to go over stuff before doing so. Hopefully that is the case and if nothing else I can get that.

Thank you for letting me know the time frame, though.

Yep.
    No need to be sorry.
    You're most welcome. We've all been there, which is why we're so eager and willing to help.
    Oh yeah, get this one, too.

So, I don't know if you read that story of all the stuff that's happened, but when he left the home visit, he said, "Your job in the next two weeks is to choose a color. That's all you need to do." Do you think he had any type of swatch he could show me, or pictures of how the colors actually look on a chair? Nope. He said, "Well, they change them a lot. You can probably find something online."

Holy shit.

Also, going back to the "showing off really nice chairs even though most people couldn't get it" thing for one quick moment, I just wanted to add that showing them off is fine. I even understand that they were probably sent that chair and didn't even purposefully put those components on it. But, be fair and honest and just tell people that those things are more, right up front. Don't let them fall in love with it and then just briefly gloss over it, worse yet, not say it at all.
    Last edited by User Name; 08-11-2014 at 12:09 AM.

I edited my previous post while you were typing.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Oh yeah, get this one, too.

So, I don't know if you read that story of all the stuff that's happened
    I did.
    , but when he left the home visit, he said, "Your job in the next two weeks is to choose a color. That's all you need to do." Do you think he had any type of swatch he could show me, or pictures of how the colors actually look on a chair? Nope. He said, "Well, they change them a lot. You can probably find something online."

Holy shit.

Also, going back to the "showing off really nice chairs even though most people couldn't get it" thing for one quick moment, I just wanted to add that showing them off is fine. I even understand that they were probably sent that chair and didn't even purposefully put those components on it. But, be fair and honest and just tell people that those things are more, right up front. Don't let them fall in love with it and then just briefly gloss over it, worse yet, not say it at all.
    Yep . . . don't trust him!! He doesn't have a clue
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>