Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 137

Thread: Questions About Wheelchairs/Components in General, and Specifically for TiLite Aero Z

  1. #41
    OK, I'm not ignoring those of you who have recently commented, but I just saw something that almost made me shit myself (and I don't have bowel issues).

    On the TiLite order form, the Twin-Star Exchange wheels are $895.

    I just looked on indemedical.com and they have them for $289!

    Is that real? Are they really that much cheaper and the same wheel? It looks as though that price is for 1, but even for the pair that's damn near $400 cheaper.

    So, let's say I got those. I could just by them, figure out which tire I wanted (or decide to use the tires that came with my chair), take it all to a local bike shop and they could put said tires on the wheels?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    . . . I don't know anyone who's had a catastrophic flat on a Marathon. . .
    I have. My wife thought it was a gun shot.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    OK, I'm not ignoring those of you who have recently commented, but I just saw something that almost made me shit myself (and I don't have bowel issues).

    On the TiLite order form, the Twin-Star Exchange wheels are $895.

    I just looked on indemedical.com and they have them for $289!

    Is that real? Are they really that much cheaper and the same wheel? It looks as though that price is for 1, but even for the pair that's damn near $400 cheaper.

    So, let's say I got those. I could just by them, figure out which tire I wanted (or decide to use the tires that came with my chair), take it all to a local bike shop and they could put said tires on the wheels?
    Yep . . . as long as the wheels are the same diameter (e.g., 540, 559, 590), tires can be interchanged. Note: some wheel hubs have different widths so you may need another set of quick release axles, too. They are readily available, but you need to know the size, which is easy to determine, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Yep . . . as long as the wheels are the same diameter (e.g., 540, 559, 590), tires can be interchanged. Note: some wheel hubs have different widths so you may need another set of quick release axles, too. They are readily available, but you need to know the size, which is easy to determine, too.
    That was going to be my next question, if having them do that A) Is expensive at all, or B) Becomes a pain in the ass.

    And they'd know how to put the push rims back on, too? If I couldn't find a bike shop to do it, do you think the DME would do it for me? Do you think I could have them order the wheels from this site and have it all put together for me when I pick it up? I know you don't know for sure, but do you think it's even worth asking?

    I was hoping to avoid extra steps like that, but if it's going to get me what I want and save me money (assuming things weren't covered by insurance), then yeah, it seems like the way to go.

  5. #45
    Also, on TiLite's order form, when it lists the price for wheels, is that for just 1 wheel, too, not even the set? That didn't even cross my mind until now.

    I apologize if I'm going crazy with the questions.

  6. #46
    No need to apologize. Having been where you are, I'm sure I speak for all of us - we are eager to help Having a poor chair is horrid. You'll learn a lot, and pass it on someday.

    Tilite's wheel price is per pair.

    I'd trust a tire shop far more with push rims than I'd trust most DMEs with anything. The DMEs will do it for you, but they'll charge more than a bike shop and not do as good a job. Personally, I would rather pay a bike shop to work with my wheels&tires than have a typical DMEs do it for free.

    VA provides my mobility equipment. The first thing the VA's DMEs did on my brand new chair was not know how to install hub locks, which were shipped separately. I borrowed their tools and installed them in their lobby. Subsequently, I would take my tools along whenever I needed work done. I would clearly write on their work order that they provided only the parts and no labor. Now the VA bypasses their DMEs, and drop ships parts directly to me (e.g., Jay3 back, luggage carriers, FreeWheel, MagicWheels, footrest, new tires). Did I mention I don't trust DMEs to work on my chair?

    Oh the bike shop will not be able to help with QR axles. You're on your own for that. Bike-on.com is a great resource for that and wheels and tires, etc. Several chair-user members of CCC work for BikeOn. They know what they're doing. Wheelchaircushionsage.com is also a member for good cushion advice. Tilite also posts on CCC, as does Roho.

    Link for some axle choices. Everyday chairs use 1/2" axles. A few specialty chairs (e.g., Ruby) use 5/8" axles. AeroZ uses 1/2".
    Last edited by chasmengr; 08-10-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    No need to apologize. Having been where you are, I'm sure I speak for all of us - we are eager to help Having a poor chair is horrid. You'll learn a lot, and pass it on someday.

    Tilite's wheel price is per pair.

    I'd trust a tire shop far more with push rims than I'd trust most DMEs with anything. The DMEs will do it for you, but they'll charge more than a bike shop and not do as good a job. Personally, I would rather pay a bike shop to work with my wheels&tires than have a DMEs do it for free.

    VA provides my mobility equipment. The first thing the VA's DMEs did on my brand new chair was not know how to install hub locks, which were shipped separately. I borrowed their tools and installed them in their lobby. Subsequently, I would take my tools along whenever I needed work done. I would clearly write on their work order that they provided only the parts and no labor. Now the VA bypasses their DMEs, and drop ships parts directly to me (e.g., Jay3 back, luggage carriers, FreeWheel, MagicWheels, footrest, new tires). Did I mention I don't trust DMEs to work on my chair?
    So you're saying I should trust DMEs with my entire life. Got it.

    My chair wasn't ready when I was discharged from the hospital, so we argued with them and got them to provide a loaner until it was done (because they had sworn that it would be done in time). While I had it, I only used it in my house (I hadn't yet begun physical therapy). One day, sitting at the computer, the tire just went flat. It didn't blow out, but it went from full to flat in about a minute.

    They came to fix it, and had no idea what they were doing. My dad had to do all the work, too. Just like you, he wouldn't sign the paperwork either, since they didn't actually do anything. God, he was pissed, haha.

    At this point, if I can get the CAD they had worked up, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to just submit it to my insurance myself and order everything on my own, haha. It'd be great if that would work, but I can't even imagine the clusterfuck that would ensue.

    I'm going to start looking into bike shops around here and make some calls. Out of the things I want, the rear wheels would be the only huge extra expense, so if the rest of it can be taken care of and I can get them to order nice tires, too, I'll get the rims myself and just have the tires switched over. I feel confident I can handle that, haha.

    Now, if they'd just call me back...

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    And they'd know how to put the push rims back on, too? If I couldn't find a bike shop to do it, do you think the DME would do it for me? Do you think I could have them order the wheels from this site and have it all put together for me when I pick it up? I know you don't know for sure, but do you think it's even worth asking?
    Just thought I'd ask for clarification on this one. Are you thinking about having push rims swapped from one set of wheels to another? Because there are sometimes compatibility issues there--different numbers of tabs and bolts (or rivnuts) at different intervals. You can't necessarily fit the push rims from a generic wheel set onto Spinergies, for instance. But if you're just thinking about tyre changes, the push rims don't have to come off for that at all.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    I have an aero r but love TiLite chairs in general. My quickie was never right and broke within the first months of me using it. Now onto your questions armrests depending on your level of injury are not necessary and handles are not necessary as well. Cushion i would recommend a roho they are the best out there i think. But you have 4 more years on me. Spinergy wheels are the best i think but do not go with solids. I did and now regret it because i cannot change them due to the cost. Scissor locks i have and they work great. And soft rolls are great.
    My Quickie wasn't right for me at all, but I have to say that it was put together well. It's been 8 years and it's still in one piece -- same tires (though the tread is gone and the insides are showing; and I know they didn't make the tire, but still), even the flip-away footrest is still together, though my heels drag on the ground (and have since day one).

    Yeah, I'm not getting armrests or handles. There's no way. I was just using them as an example, because I'm still debating on getting the anti-tippers until I get used to using such a dramatically different chair. But, once I was used to it, I want them gone and no sign they were ever there.

    Same with side guards. The ones I have now don't have a speck of dirt on them, but the new chair may be different. I like the idea of not having them, but don't know if I'll need them. Again, if I don't, I'd like them gone.

    I always thought it would be a pain to have to check your air pressure and risk getting a flat, but everyone keeps saying that air are the way to go. I'm definitely going to have to reconsider.

    That's another thing: When I demo'ed the chair, I asked if they were air tires, because I loved them. So smooth, barely any effort (though they told me that the way my chair is set up, it's taking like 5x the strength it should to move it, so anything would feel better), and after telling him my concerns with air, he told me they were solids. I'm staring to think they were air, though.

    I'm glad you're in a chair you love, now. And thanks for the reply.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    Just thought I'd ask for clarification on this one. Are you thinking about having push rims swapped from one set of wheels to another? Because there are sometimes compatibility issues there--different numbers of tabs and bolts (or rivnuts) at different intervals. You can't necessarily fit the push rims from a generic wheel set onto Spinergies, for instance. But if you're just thinking about tyre changes, the push rims don't have to come off for that at all.
    Thank you for bringing this up, QTiPi. I was just getting ready to reply to your other posts, too.

    So, let's say I buy those Twin-Stars from that site. They don't come with a tire and push rims already on them, correct? If not, which is what I assume, are you saying that chances are I will need to buy a second set of push rims for them, too? What's the easiest way to tell which push rims are compatible with which wheels before ordering them? Because, the push rims I'm looking at on that site don't specify any compatabilities.

    The tires, yes, that was my plan. I was hoping I could get a relatively nice set through the DME/insurance, and then just have them taken off the stock wheels and put on whatever I buy. If not, I would buy separate tires of course, but the former would be cheaper.

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about Tilite Aero X order
    By dmccoyks in forum Equipment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  2. my new zx1 and tilite aero z
    By larry1975 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 04:09 PM
  3. TiLite Aero Z v. Aero R
    By Brianm in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
  4. SCI-OTR? or anybody-tilite aero-z
    By rollin64 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 10:49 PM
  5. More questions on combo components
    By mk99 in forum Cure
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 05:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •