Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Wheelchairs/Components in General, and Specifically for TiLite Aero Z

@nonoise, Just in case it is good for you to know for future, the depth dimension for the DU100082 front frame rigidizer bar is measured from the front edge of seat sling or bend. Depending on the front frame configuration, I "think" it might be possible to set it back 8" from where you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I don't know. The chair I am sitting in now would need a minimum of 8 inches between the ridgidizer bar and the center of the swivel point for the casters.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    get the cad. I never spec a chair for my customers or myself without the user signing and dating that cad. the fact that who your dealing with doesn't know this tells me they shouldn't be helping you.
    Bingo!
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    You should know that more grip equals more friction. If you have good hand strength, I recommend not getting coated or even standard painted handrims. They may be better gripping, especially when wet; but they are murder controlling downhill. I used to burn my hands badly from friction with just painted handrims. Get black anodized.
    I think Surge LT handrims without the thumbring fit nicely, have some gripping power and will slip without excessive burning downhill. They have a narrow rubbery insert in their outer diameter area.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Just be aware that you usually cannot remove solids without cutting them off, making them unusable. So don't order a set of wheels with solids to later put pneumatics on without being prepared to cut them off. While you can always remove pneumatics safely without damage and switch to solids. If you want to keep the solids on the wheels they come on, you have no problem. But if you're in doubt you may want to start with pneumatics so you can switch to solids if you don't like them, without risking having to completely waste the solids. And so if you say are going to get spinergys with the chair and purchase cheaper wheels separately as a back up and want the solids on the cheaper wheels, you wouldn't want to order them on the spinergys since you wouldn't be able to swap them without damage.
    Noted, and thank you for the info.

To be honest, the tires I tried in the demo chair I liked a lot, and was told they were solids (they should be getting back to me tomorrow to tell me exactly which they were). If they offer that ride, sans the worry about a flat (no matter how minute they may be), I'll probably stick with them. I am, however, going to continue looking into pneumatics for a possible purchase sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    get the cad. I never spec a chair for my customers or myself without the user signing and dating that cad. the fact that who your dealing with doesn't know this tells me they shouldn't be helping you.
    Before starting my research and reading things here, I would have never even known that CADs were created for the chairs, let alone to ask for it. But, given how many people here suggested I get a copy of it, I was also surprised she had never had anyone ask. I will ask if she got an answer about it tomorrow. Thank you.

Both of the places/people I'm dealing with came highly recommended, but then again, by people who are ambulatory. I know, I know, but I don't personally know any other wheelchair users. In my hometown, I was the only one (literally, they didn't even have curb cutouts), and I just recently started living here. Anyway, as I've continued reading, I've gone from hopeful, to optimistic, to concerned, to throwing in the towel, to cautiously optimistic, back to concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    You should know that more grip equals more friction. If you have good hand strength, I recommend not getting coated or even standard painted handrims. They may be better gripping, especially when wet; but they are murder controlling downhill. I used to burn my hands badly from friction with just painted handrims. Get black anodized.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I did mean the black anodized rims. Though, I am now considering Surge LTs. We shall see. Thank you for pointing that out to me, though. That would've saved me a lot of skin.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I think Surge LT handrims without the thumbring fit nicely, have some gripping power and will slip without excessive burning downhill. They have a narrow rubbery insert in their outer diameter area.
    nonoise, do you use them, or have you used them for any substantial length of time in the past? Do you think they are worth the money? I've been looking into them.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    nonoise, do you use them, or have you used them for any substantial length of time in the past? Do you think they are worth the money? I've been looking into them.
    Answered in your surge thread. One thing to consider is that if you go with pneumatic tires instead of solids you can more easily upgrade to Natural Fits or Surges later. But I think a good bike shop can do solids. I had one slip in a couple of spokes in a wheel that had a solid wheel on it.

Getting my first ever wheelchair (Dysautonomia) my ATP and PT decided that a TiLite Aero Z is the chair for me.

I'm totally new for this so I'd appreciate any feedback. These are the specs that the ATP sent to the PT. The PT is now writing the letter for the insurance (BCBS through my employer) to get all approved.
    I'm 35 years old, 5'10" and about 275 but currently loosing weight and so i'll be under the 265 max before i get my chair. (my docs finally released me to work out as long as i dont stand up)

TiLite Aero Z in matte black
    Reinforced Frame
    20" wide X 19" deep
    85* front angle with front taper
    0* camber and 1" rear wheel spacing
    Front seat height 19"
    Rear seat height 17"
    Angle adjustable footrest
    25" Spinergy Spox
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution Tires
    Casters 5" x 1.5" litespeed billet aluminum w/ soft roll
    Composite scissor wheel locks
    Swing away tubular arm rests 11"-14"
    Padded nylon adjustable tension back
    Rigid removable side guards
    Fold down push handles
    User friendly flip up anti tippers
    Pelvic belt
    Calf strap
    Varilite Evolution 20x20 cushion

That will be a great chair! Get hub locks if you can - IMO they are far better/easier than tire locks. Also demo some different style handrims.

The ZRA has the exact same design as the AeroZ and it's available with a 300# weight limit. Remember the weight limit is not just you, it's for you and everything you may carry, too. My AeroZ with my daily carry needs weighs over 60#, which translates to 40# of stuff besides me. I weigh 210#, and I'm at myAeroZ1's official limit.

From TiLite AeroZ manual:

Name:  TiLite.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  69.9 KB
    Last edited by chasmengr; 08-28-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>