Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry mouth

Yep on the Biotene.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Try gum or candies with xylitol in them as a sweetner.
    This works well. ACT Lozenges are good and also available at Walmart.

I'm gonna try the Act lozenges first.. if that fails to remedy the problem I'll try the other suggestions. Thanks...

One thing to mention about xylitol is that if you have animals be careful not to ever let them accidentally get into them. Xylitol is extremely deadly to canines.

I'm looking into botox for my bladder for that very same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
    One thing to mention about xylitol is that if you have animals be careful not to ever let them accidentally get into them. Xylitol is extremely deadly to canines.
    Thanks for adding that, Doing! I heard about the Xylitol from my dentist. He's retired Navy and it seems the Navy has researched this stuff fairly well for preventing cavities from dry mouth. I use ACT mouth and tooth rinse after brushing in the morning and Biotene tooth paste before bed with the Xylitol containing candies during the day if needed. My dry mouth just about disappeared after I moved from regular Ditropan to Ditropan XL but when I need to take oxycodone or Levsin it reappears even worse than before.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

15mg a day is rough. If it's rough on you now, it will likely always be that way. At least it was for me.
    I'm at 5 mg a day now, and my mouth is much more bearable, though still kinda dry.
    As far as remedies to keep it at bay, I'd say +1 to certs or anything along that line. Good luck.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

My doctor just switched me to Myrbetriq (Mirabegron) to see if it causes less dry mouth than Enablex. Has anyone tried that one?

I am taking 20 mg of oxybutynin and my doctor this week prescribed myrbetriq in addition to oxybutynin. I started taking them today.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    I am taking 20 mg of oxybutynin and my doctor this week prescribed myrbetriq in addition to oxybutynin. I started taking them today.
    Prepare to be parched.