Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial ADA suit filer deported

Serial ADA suit filer deported

Friday, August 01, 2014

LOS ANGELES (KABC) --

Alfredo Garcia, a notorious serial plaintiff, convicted felon and undocumented immigrant, has been deported to Mexico. Garcia made it his business to sue small businesses, filing more than 800 lawsuits against businesses in the Los Angeles area for alleged violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Garcia hasn't held a job since he fell out of an avocado tree while he was drinking and high on cocaine about 18 years ago. Garcia's back was broken, his spinal cord severed. Since then, he's made a living off these lawsuits. It's incredibly profitable, for Garcia and his longtime attorney Morse Mehrban.

Based on previously disclosed settlements, Eyewitness News can estimate that Garcia has collected approximately $1.2 million from business owners since he began filing lawsuits in 2007.

http://abc7.com/news/serial-plaintif...mexico/198487/

(KLD)

It is people like him and frivolous lawsuits that cast negativity on the ADA. Glad that he is gone.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I never agreed with his approach, but the fact that he made a mint off of these suits says a lot. How many places do you visit that are truly 100% ADA-compliant?

I wonder if he's going to be able to re-enter for specialty SCI care?

"In light of his medical condition, ICE spent months working with Mexican consular representatives in advance of Mr. Garcia's removal to ensure he would receive continuing healthcare following his repatriation"

That has not been granted for a number of my clients who were injured in the USA but were here illegally. They were not allowed across the border (legally) again for any reason, including medical care.

(KLD)

Does not sound like he's going to be allowed to re-enter for anything. I think thats also implied by the statement about the extra time involved to be sure he is getting continued healthcare, healthcare in mexico so that he has nothing to argue as reasoning for coming back.

This really makes me sick, I had no idea. I knew about ADA attorneys that made their income this way, but I guess I always thought they had tons of clients as opposed to individuals who were also making their living this way. The waived court fees especially piss me off. I wonder how many people in that county that ACTUALLY needed waived court fees were turned down too...
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

There is a Vexatious Litigant Statute in California. How did he and his attorney side step this.
    http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/CCP/3/2/3A/s391

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    There is a Vexatious Litigant Statute in California. How did he and his attorney side step this.
    http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/CCP/3/2/3A/s391

All the best,
    GJ
    If you read that statute, it applies to repeated claims made against the SAME defendant. He didn't do that. He made claims against many, many different people. It's people like this who give the ADA and other PWD with legitimate claims a bad name.

(KLD)

To see more of these criminals, click here. The signing of the ADA into law was one of Pres. George H. W. Bush, finest moments.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

One case cited is about the mirror being mounted too high which is meant to sound frivolous. I am disgusted with this persons ability to abuse the system, but if someone doesn't call them out on these seemingly minor things, who will? I feel when there is no deterrent, there becomes disrespect for ADA regulations. If the owner or installer knows no one will take them to task, there is no need to comply.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.