Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pseudomonas Anti-biotic infections Need Help

Exclamation Pseudomonas Anti-biotic infections Need Help

For over the past three years, every six months I have to go on IV cefepime to treat a anti biotic resistant Pseudomonas bacteria that I inquired at Craig Hospital. It's a very strong strain.

It appears that I'm close to the end of the line or choices for antibiotics. I just finished a IV course of cefepime ... however after a blocked catheter ... now have infection back (very high WBC and Cultured sensitivities) and my lucidity, energy level and overall neurologic level is rapidly declining for c5to c4.
    So tomorrow I have to go on another IV antibiotic. However I'm very concerned because there aren't many choices left. Anyways that any experience with this particular bacteria or ways to resolve it please share.
    I've tried everything under the sun
    ? Cranberry
    ? Vitamin C
    ? Methenamine
    ? Probiotics
    ? Hygienic treatment
    -d-Mannose
    - microcyn. Around the site

I hope to be able to check this thread at some point. And I apologize in advance if this seems out reactionary and stream of consciousness. I only have had short time periods where I can think enough to write.
    Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
    Last edited by Chaz19; 07-31-2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Hyphens changed to ? Marks

I'm sorry you're going through this! If you're not already, be sure and consult an infectious disease doctor. I had a similar issue with Pseudamonas a few years back and myself am near the end of effective abx to treat it. That's when I saw an ID doc. He told me that if you become resistant to all drugs that they can usually treat with combinations.

I was doing intermittent cathing and the ID doc had me go to and indwelling to try and switch the paradigm. I haven't had much of a problem since. And I haven't had a Pseudamonas infection in a long, long time. I drink a gallon of water a day to flush my bladder, and instill 30ccs of Vetericyn VF almost every day. I do these things because I'm paranoid that the Pseudamonas is going to rear its ugly head again.

Keep the faith. You can beat this. I have and it's been five years since my last Pseudamonas-induced bout with IV abx.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Back in the late 1960's I ended up continuously on antibiotics because of infections and they were no longer effective. The infection started getting to my kidneys and out of desperation I had an ileal conduit constructed in 1970. I have not had an infection since then and it changed my life. This surgery does not always work as well, and in some instances does not work at all. There may be ways like this that can diminish your susceptibility to UTIs. You should discuss alternatives with your urologist. You may also benefit from getting a second opinion especially if your current urologist cannot suggest potentially helpful alternatives.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Thank you both. Regarding the vetericyn installation. I've read how introduction of outside agents can be harmful to the bladder… How do you safely insert fluid into the Bladder a SP tube?

I see you are in the Boston area. I saw an infectious disease doctor in Boston at Brigham and Women's Hospital named Dr. Ashbaugh. He treated me successfully for other serious infections. Perhaps he could help. Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Thank you both. Regarding the vetericyn installation. I've read how introduction of outside agents can be harmful to the bladder… How do you safely insert fluid into the Bladder a SP tube?
    These frequent and recurring urinary tract infections can be very frustrating. Consulting an infectious disease doctor is a good idea.

d-mannose only is effective in the case of e-coli bacteria.

Vetericyn can be instilled into the bladder through a supra pubic or intermittent catheter using a syringe.

All the best,
    GJ

I agree an ID doctor is necessary if 1 isn't already on board. Along with sensitivities. When i was getting them 1 right after the other my urologist automatically brought an ID on board and since i cannot say i have been UTI free but they have been drastically reduced. I am also now on an antibiotic daily as well which i think has helped.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

An Infectious disease doc is certainly called for at this time. They are the ones who deal with these problems on a daily basis, so certainly have some tricks up their sleeves that usually work. Speak with your physician about this immediately and try to get one on board as soon as you can. They are not miracle workers, but darn close to it, in my opinion!
    ckf

ID physician is helping me through this bout. They are angels.

Regarding the instillation; are there any formal procedures written up that I could show my urologist or an infectious disease physician? I've scanned through the threads… But it appears to be personal experiments. Is there any peer-reviewed research and or proposed trials?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    ID physician is helping me through this bout. They are angels.

Regarding the instillation; are there any formal procedures written up that I could show my urologist or an infectious disease physician? I've scanned through the threads… But it appears to be personal experiments. Is there any peer-reviewed research and or proposed trials?
    There are no written procedures. All of us are using Vetericyn experimentally and have adapted procedures to our individual needs. Some people have had discussions with their urologists and have found some support and encouragement. Oculus Innovative Sciences produces Microcyn which has been used by wound care physicians for treatment of pressure ulcers and diabetic skin issues. They are currently structuring a trial that will have people who intermittent cath using the product to spray the meatus and into the urethra before cathing.

Here is a paper written by Susanne Lewis the woman who started the Vetericyn/Microcyn thread on Care Cure Community. The paper mentions Dr. Cheryl Bongiovanni, with whom Susanne has had many discussions regarding Microcyn/Vetericyn in both wound and bladder care.

http://microcyn.blogspot.com/2011/01...proach-to.html

All the best,
    GJ