http://www.kgw.com/news/Ore-man-gets...268957071.html

Ore. man gets results from stem cell transplant

print
    Email this article
    | MORE
    by Cathy Marshall, KGW Staff
    Posted on July 28, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    Updated Tuesday, Jul 29 at 6:40 AM
    PORTLAND -- An Oregon man with multiple sclerosis is seeing remarkable results after a stem cell transplant.
    ?All aspects of my life have improved,? said 28-year-old Dan Tiel, ?I don?t even walk with a cane anymore.?
    Tiel's mother first learned of the clinical trial at Northwestern University while doing research on Facebook.
    ?I had been searching for hope for 10 years and this was the first time I really felt it,? Gina Tiel said.
    Dr. Richard Burt said about 80 patients a year are getting the stem cell transplants at Northwestern for a variety of autoimmune diseases.
    ?We give them their own stem cells that we collect from their blood and it regenerates a new immune system,? he explained.
    Dan experienced drastic improvement within a month. ?He was sitting in the sun and felt the warmth on his jeans. He couldn?t remember experiencing that before,? Gina said. Because the stem cell transplant rebuilt his immune system, it was no longer attacking his central nervous system.
    ?I can walk 3 or 4 blocks now without huffing and puffing. It?s those little things that make me smile,? Dan said.
    Anyone wanting more information about the program can send an email to Dr. Richard Burt or check for updates on the HSCT Stem Cells Hope Facebook page.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

I posted about dr Burt in the autoimmune sci thread. I heard the success rate is very high. Over 80 to 90%. I am very hopeful it will stop my disease.

because of the high success rate many insurance companies are paying for it. Even it is technically still considered " experimental". Although the same protocol has been applied to mild cancer treatment for a few decades.
    Last edited by CIDP_LEMS; 08-03-2014 at 06:10 AM.

MS is a set up for scams and ineffective "effective" treatments, since 85% of people with MS have RRMS (relapsing-remitting MS) which goes into spontaneous remission periodically. In order to say that this treatment cured or even reduced the auto-immune effects of MS, significant lab studies, MRIs, and probably spinal taps would be needed in addition to a neurologic exam, including a revised EDSS score. Publication of the results in a reputable juried professional journal would also be required...not just some newspaper article from the local town which sounds more like an infomercial than anything else.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    MS is a set up for scams and ineffective "effective" treatments, since 85% of people with MS have RRMS (relapsing-remitting MS) which goes into spontaneous remission periodically. In order to say that this treatment cured or even reduced the auto-immune effects of MS, significant lab studies, MRIs, and probably spinal taps would be needed in addition to a neurologic exam, including a revised EDSS score. Publication of the results in a reputable juried professional journal would also be required...not just some newspaper article from the local town which sounds more like an infomercial than anything else.

(KLD)
    Are you saying that the work being done at Northwest University has no more credibility than some YouTube video from Liberia? Who's going to make this thing happen anyway?

(KLD)
    Wow! so by that measure Dr Young CHISCINET is also an infomercial. replace the word(s) "ms" with "sci" and Northwestern U with Rutgers and and whats the difference. both Universities are top line institutes of higher learning(sure there not MIT but still damn good schools). China has long been ripe with stem cell tourism. only in recent years has the government cracked down on stem cell fraud, seems they really want to be a world leader in legit stem cell research. I don't see where Dr Burt has done anything different than Dr Young?? it looks like Dr Burt is following the same clinical trial protocols(phase,1-2-3) as Dr Young. i like Dr Young and follow and donate to his research(he does so much with so little) but with all do respect Dr Young up to this point has only given us HOPE and nothing more.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-

<----Scott Weiland---->

(KLD)
    Thanks for bringing a healty dose of skepticism about this news.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

The MS trials are currently in phase 3 trials. Done in Chicago by Dr Burt. The hope is it will become mainstream for RRMS in 10 years. My disease CIDP's trial is in phase 2. CIDP is not usually rr and it's HSCT Success rate also very high. But it is still early and long data is very limited. (61 patients so far, more than 80% in remission). I plan to join the phase 2 clinical trial. Don't want to wait till phase 3 where I will be randomized.

You are right there are a lot of scams. To me the key is the chemo. No chemo, no efficacy. But the chemo regimen used for autoimmune diseases are lower than cancer and trm is very low in Chicago.
    Last edited by CIDP_LEMS; 08-03-2014 at 12:12 PM.

The 2 do not compare. You completely missed SCI-Nurses point.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    The 2 do not compare. You completely missed SCI-Nurses point.
    well since you speak for scinurse, please explain her point otherwise the quote "not just some newspaper article from the local town which sounds more like an infomercial than anything else", sure seems shes casting some doubt about Dr Burt research.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-

<----Scott Weiland---->

Official publications should be coming out in the next year or so from several hospitals around the world.

I think overall this clinical trial is at a more advanced stage than those of sci. Mainly because it utilizes a proven cancer treatment. HSCT. But its application in AI diseases is in still early stage. MS and CIDP have reported lots of success. Some other AI diseases are catching on too. But long term (30 years) data are not available yet.

I have CIDP (caused by a flu shot) and will start the treatment soon. Will keep posted. Btw, CIDP usually does not remit or relapse so it the diseases activity stops it is fairly confident it is due to the treatment. Good thing about CIDP is the damage is done in peripheral myelin, which readily regenerates. Unlike spinal cord axon. If caught early, many can make full recovery.

At this this point I am cautiously optimistic about the efficacy of the treatment.
    Last edited by CIDP_LEMS; 08-09-2014 at 04:26 PM.