Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sliding patio door

sliding patio door

im replacing my old wood French door with a slider with blinds between the glass looks cool and no curtains or blinds to fool with

my question is the threshold seems a lil high It looks like I can bump over it but with it being a vinyl door I wonder how durable they are

does anyone deal with this or know of a low threshold slider that they like
    thanks

http://www.lowes.com/pd_326404-94705...etInfo=Sliding

what im looking at cool concept I really don't think the threshold is a big deal as the durability of the vinly part id be runnin over especially if I use my power chair and cruise over it but don't use the powerchair much anyway
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Contact Pella (the door manufacturer). Tell them the model of door you have and ask if they have an ADA sill. Andersen Window and Doors have one for their door systems, Pella may have one too.

All the best,
    GJ

You want to ask for a low profile sill.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Have a standard sill and use Diestco Nosing Ramps on both sides. Low profile would have been much better.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

We didn't get the in glass blinds on the sliders we put in our old place just the windows. So glad we didn't. The windows came with way too many strings and it was difficult for me to tie them up. Since the idea was to be able to open the windows out I was really disappointed. Have you tried to test drive the blinds as they will come at a store? If those don't work I know Hunter Douglas makes inside pleated blinds with remote controls. If this has changed I'll be thrilled because I can see needing a slider replacement here in a year or two and want to stick with Pealla but want easy to use and clean blinds and the lowered entry again.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

my salesman at the local lumber yard suggested another French door with ada sill that's probably what ill do hes gonna check on one with some sort of composite frame its suposedley doesn't rot like the wood on my door is now

sue the blinds on that door I posted are super easy to work the guy at lowes said he hasn't heard of any problems with them

I just read the reviews and they have changed the pulls for raising and lowering the blinds to work like when you just want to change their angle of openness. Seriously great improvement! We had the aluminum pre-colored outsides and wood factory stained insides which we loved on both windows and doors. It was just they used to have thin strings, about 6 per window, for raising and lowering that you then tied off on a tiny side jib like on a sailboat. We'll be looking at these again when the slider needs replaced. Pealla makes a great product overall so happy to see they redesigned the pulls.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Contact Pella (the door manufacturer). Tell them the model of door you have and ask if they have an ADA sill. Andersen Window and Doors have one for their door systems, Pella may have one too.

All the best,
    GJ
    Be prepared to pay a hefty premium for "ADA" door. If you have the ability to hop a regular one, save the cash.

Get threshold ramps for getting a wheelchair over a sliding door track. Just Google it.

anyone have experience with vinyl sliding doors as far as durability of running over the threshold does it hold up well