Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I cannot use an ICON wheelchair.

Why I cannot use an ICON wheelchair.

For fair evaluation of a wheelchair on this forum, I would like to post why I cannot use an ICON, which I paid the most among my previous & current manual wheelchairs.
    I purchased the ICON wheelchair about 1 year ago. Tried a few times. Great adjust-abilities, but didn't like the foot-rest and front-wing. I had to be out of country for awhile. So, I took my old Ti wheelchair.

Seriously tried again from February, but still had several problems with the foot-rest and front-wing. Basically, angle of the foot rest was too stiff and front-wing was too narrow for me. Only front-part of the foot-rest touches my foot and my feet are easily fall out. Too narrow foot-rest, which is more caused by the narrow front-wing, was also the reason.

On June, I contacted Jeff & ICON company and asked if they had a wider front-wing and flat foot-rest. As usual, Jeff was great for fast response and offered me a different type of foot-rest and a front-wing.: Flat foot-rest, and different design of font-wing, but Jeff informed me that width is same. I got them with discounted price.

Flat foot-rest works for me, but the front-wing still doesn't work for me.
    "Front-wing is still too narrow and my leg gets a big dent and redness on the skin". I decided to use the ICOn wheelchair as a backup chair and now I am using my old Ti wheelchair.

BTW, the chair is not heavy and adjustability is great! I learned a lot how small change of an angle, center of gravity and so on can make the chair a lot different. Also, great customer service from the ICON, but it was not for me. I guess my legs are widen enough from using a sling and lift for my transferring. (I am not a big person)

Description of each images:
    20140619_130659.jpg: Old foot-rest. Too stiff and only front part of the foot-rest touches my feet.
    20140628_080534.jpg: New foot-rest. Touches whole foot.
    20140628_080729.jpg: When I sit on the wheelchair. Remember that width of foot-rest is not the real width of the feet. Location of each foot is determined by the top-part of the front-wing. Since the width of the front-wing and the width of the foot-rest is almost same, your feet should locate at narrower space than the foot-rest, which is already not wide enough (for some people). Legs on the picture doesn't look too bad, but my legs are touching the top part of the front-wing.
    20140630_180704.jpg: dent and redness on my right leg.
    20140630_180824.jpg: dent and redness on my right leg.
    20140706_173719.jpg: Another picture for the dent and redness.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by JK; 07-29-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: rotated images properly

Good feedback. Thanks for sharing
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

What is that width between the wings of the wide front end?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Here's an idea maybe make some calf protectors. Maybe Jeff can ring in on this.

I don't use the icon but as for the dents in the legs. thats very common. I have them everyday from my chairs, always have
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

It seems "splaying" of knees is a common problem that some wheelers experience.
    My issue is lack of a lap to carry stuff unless I put one foot way to the side so knees touch. That said, husband has same problem you do, but no redness. Any chance a velcro stap around knees would bring lower leg away from wing?

~Lin: The width of the inner side of the wing is slightly more than 10 inches.
    funetejps: really? This manual chair was my 4 or 5th chair, but I didn't have any dent problem until this one.
    triumph: I thought about having some kind of strap, but didn't want to constrain my legs.

We just had an engineering meeting this morning to kick off a wider front end.

We're thinking that it will be another 3" wider, which would put the footrest at 13" inside to inside - feedback on the sizing would be great.

JK - lowering your footrest or raising your seat height would probably reduce the leg splaying. When we have the wider wing, I'll send you one to test for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    We just had an engineering meeting this morning to kick off a wider front end.

We're thinking that it will be another 3" wider, which would put the footrest at 13" inside to inside - feedback on the sizing would be great.
    For whatever it's worth, 11-12" inside-to-inside seems to be the sweet spot for me w/ other chairs, at least for accommodating most footwear + a freewheel.