Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snapped TiLite ZR frame

Unhappy Snapped TiLite ZR frame

The title says it all really. I've been sat in my chair all day thinking the backrest is getting wobbly, must tighten the back or fabric.

Once home I hopped on the sofa only to notice that the frame had spilt from one of the mounting holes for the seat base

No idea where I go from here, I have contacted the reseller in the USA and am awaiting a reply but think it will be cheaper to buy a new frame than ship it back from here in Sweden.

is that stock seat pan and holes to secure it? def get with whomever you bought through.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    The title says it all really. I've been sat in my chair all day thinking the backrest is getting wobbly, must tighten the back or fabric.

Once home I hopped on the sofa only to notice that the frame had spilt from one of the mounting holes for the seat base

No idea where I go from here, I have contacted the reseller in the USA and am awaiting a reply but think it will be cheaper to buy a new frame than ship it back from here in Sweden.

Sorry to see you have a problem. Can you provide me with your serial number in a private message and we can help get you squared away.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    is that stock seat pan and holes to secure it? def get with whomever you bought through.
    Yep, stock seat pad with no mods. The chair is 3 years old so guessing it a fault that has developed over time as i'm not heavy person (150 lbs), nor do I carry out anything more strenuous than carrying a beer from the bar

Quote Originally Posted by TiLite View Post
    Sorry to see you have a problem. Can you provide me with your serial number in a private message and we can help get you squared away.
    Thanks, PM sent.

I didn't know that was possible with titanium. It makes me wonder about the long-term integrity of the hardware in my back.

Nor did I. It's a very clean break (from the screw hole downwards), but still slightly attached at the bottom which properly saved me from going over backwards and planting my head in the sidewalk.

Most of the larger w/c companies have a warranty on their frames.

I'm sure they differ widely, but I know Quickie has a lifetime replacement policy. I'm sure others have some variety of this policy. definitely check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    Nor did I. It's a very clean break (from the screw hole downwards), but still slightly attached at the bottom which properly saved me from going over backwards and planting my head in the sidewalk.
    I'd try to find a piece of aluminum tube that's a tiny bit smaller than the inner diameter of the tube that broke, then shove it inside to provide some structural support until you can get a new frame.

It happens with holes left drilled bare in tubing. Had that happen to a TR I had (for the backrest hardware)...replacement frame had lugs welded in the holes and no troubles from then on for some 8 years or so till I got a TR3

Or a piece of steel tubing, perhaps even pipe.