Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Supra pubic cathater 101

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Little late to the topic;
    I've had my supra pubic for about 13 years. Was started with a 22fr and it's what I still use today. The site around the tube(stoma) is cleaned morning and night with an alcohol wipe with a little neosporin on it. This works for me and my Urologist has always said my sp looks better than any he's ever seen. I drink plenty of water. In the time I've had my sp, I've never had a UTI. *KNOCKS ON WOOD*
    Congratulations on your success with your suprapubic. When I got the suprapubic, I started out cleaning my stoma with alcohol wipes too, but the skin around the stoma got very irritated and I developed quite a rash. I used Bacitracin to clear up the rash and started to clean the stoma area with Betadine and haven't had any more irritation around the stoma since. Just saying different people can have different reactions and experiences with cleaning methods.

All the best,
    GJ

Had my SP for a bit more than four years now, started with 22fr, using 18fr now. The only thing that gets to my skin/stoma (wasn't there a commercial with that line?) is sterile saline and some polysporin. Anything else and my skin screams bloody murder, something hospital staff nevere wants to believe. Haven't had any major problems except the rarer UTI, always due to a caregiver not doing something right.
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

What's the best medication for bladder spasms? One with the least side effects. Thanks

A new medication Myrbetriq (http://www.myrbetriq.com/) has been introduced into the US market for treatment of Over Active Bladder ((OAB) with symptoms of urge urinary incontinence, urgency, and urinary frequency. The reviews I have read indicate that there is little or no dry mouth side effects as there are with other anticholinergics.

All the best,
    GJ

Anyone know how long it takes for oxybutynin er to take effect? I had my surgery friday and I've basically felt like I've had to pee 24/7 since then. My Dr called it in yesterday but I wasn't able to pick it up, my roommate is getting it for me right now. If I stay in certain positions and don't move its not too bad, but every time I move it gets worse and especially bad when I'm moving around out of bed. I've barely had any pain from the procedure, but the bladder spasms are driving me nuts.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    A new medication Myrbetriq (http://www.myrbetriq.com/) has been introduced into the US market for treatment of Over Active Bladder ((OAB) with symptoms of urge urinary incontinence, urgency, and urinary frequency. The reviews I have read indicate that there is little or no dry mouth side effects as there are with other anticholinergics.

All the best,
    GJ
    Thanks for the reply. I more concerned about constipation. Especially with my colostomy.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I more concerned about constipation. Especially with my colostomy.
    Here is the full 23 page prescribing circular. Scroll down to page 3 through 5 for side effects. Constipation was a minimal side effect.

The major benefit of this new drug, as I see it, is the dry mouth problem. People who need an anticholinergic and can't take one because they cannot tolerate this side effect have a new alternative.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Here is the full 23 page prescribing circular. Scroll down to page 3 through 5 for side effects. Constipation was a minimal side effect.

The major benefit of this new drug, as I see it, is the dry mouth problem. People who need an anticholinergic and can't take one because they cannot tolerate this side effect have a new alternative.

All the best,

GJ
    Thanks!

Just read this on the web site. I'll pass.

The most common side effects
    of Myrbetriq include:

increased blood pressure
    common cold symptoms (nasopharyngitis)
    urinary tract infection
    headache

I'm worried about the constipation effect as well. I've had issues with that all my life from slowed motility through my digestive system. Hopefully I will not be on them long term myself... But only until my body gets used to the SPC.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.