Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Supra pubic cathater 101

Statlock and my skin do not get along. I use medical tape like Micropore during the day. If you need tape at night too I'd try paper tape once in bed.

Blood and other seepage doesn't normally hurt the surrounding skin. Urine can cause urine burns so best to wash and carefully dry areas touched by a leek or accident. I don't use a SP but I know more than a few people, myself included, who leak around a urethral catheter or for SP users through the uretha when using a bed bag at night. If your leaking continues after you see your surgeon you might using a hard plastic urine collector placed on the floor at night.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Sorry not following you about 14 Fr. My urologist started me with a 16 Fr. and I've been on that same size catheter for 4 years. 16Fr. is usually minimal size for a suprapubic.

All the best,
    GJ
    Exactly the same for me, 4 years as well. I actually freaked out when I looked at the catheter size installed after the procedure because when I used the 16fr as a Foley I'd be lucky to go a week and it would have to be changed. So, when the Dr. said it would be 6 weeks before it would be changed, I thought that there's no way I'd be able make it that length of time with no blockage. But it's been pretty much trouble free since I've had it.

I'm worried about what kind of ways to secure the catheter with my adhesive allergies. I always get paper tape to secure IVs but if they're left longer than a single day I get rashes or blistering. Less than a full day and the irritation usually goes away in 6-12 hours without needing my steroid ointment.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Posted this on your thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ubic-negatives
    I was wondering if there may be some alteration to underwear that you could do like add a slit for the tubing to pass through. If the underwear fits snugly enough you might be able to secure the catheter to the underwear with tape. It wouldn't be ideal, but it may secure the catheter better than using nothing. Sorry, I can't be more specific on how you might do this. I'm more of a concept person, than a designer. ;-)

All the best,
    GJ

I tag the end of the catheter to my left thigh with 3" adhesive tape just up to the "y" for the inflation (I tediously get it to wrap around the tubing and join together before separating to attach to the skin. I've found that doing that leaves it durable through baths and often it lasts 30 days til I replace the whole setup including the laytex 32oz bag)
    This deal seems the simplest, most reliable setup and there never seems to be a problem with kinking. The cath is tagged at the farthest point I can locate it without it tugging the cath when on my back with my legs splayed. For years I wore it on top of my leg until I realized dropping it down the side of my cath worked better egonomically in addition to making the tubing less visible through clothing.
    I wear the 320z bag 24/7 except when I'm bathing (& disinfecting the bag)
    Oh yes-and I stopped wearing underwear when I got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Posted this on your thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ubic-negatives
    I was wondering if there may be some alteration to underwear that you could do like add a slit for the tubing to pass through. If the underwear fits snugly enough you might be able to secure the catheter to the underwear with tape. It wouldn't be ideal, but it may secure the catheter better than using nothing. Sorry, I can't be more specific on how you might do this. I'm more of a concept person, than a designer. ;-)

All the best,
    GJ
    Thanks! I did see that and typed out a reply... But I guess I didn't submit it, I don't remember what happened. Been a long day. I'm not sure if that would work but I may try it with one of my older crappier pair of underwear lol. Mine are all really stretchy so my concern is a hole stretching out. Even if reinforced, which would be a lot of work to do to every pair of underwear, I think it could just stretch out in the area as soon as the reinforcement ends. Maybe it won't though, can't know for sure without giving it a shot. I am a bit of a seamstress so that helps. My boyfriend was actually making fun of me recently for altering my underwear. I had 2 different kinds of "string" bikinis (6 pairs of each). One has a thick 1 inch wide elastic band around the top, but the underwear was too high in the back. So I removed it from the elastic band, then cut down the fabric and reattached it. The other kind had a very thin elastic band, and were both too low and too tight. A size too small, my bf had bought me the package thinking a size too small would be sexy.... Don't know how he got that idea, flesh pudging up around too tight clothes is not sexy. So I just cut off the sides elastic, and used a 1.5 inch band of soft elastic to make them taller and fit perfectly around me. Now I'm going to try altering underwear for a SPC haha.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Okay I see my surgeon on Friday to get my first catheter change, going to probably go up to a 16 fr, but I am constantly pissing my pants, usually only happens at night, but now it happens when I am in my wheelchair like right now I am soaked!! And we just irrigated on Monday, The saline went through easily.

Don't get it, the past two weeks I've probably pissed myself nine out of 14 days, like every night it's just like fear of waking up covered in the morning. At first it was kind of working good, now this. I can see sediment in the two but it's flowing pretty well, I drink lots of water and take vitamin C, drink cranberry juice organic no sugar. Is it really easy to get infections with this thing too, because I'm getting intense flank pain which is a symptom of mine along with a lot of A.D. when I leak.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 08-27-2014 at 07:12 PM.

I don't remember if we have discussed anticholinergics in this thread. But, it sounds like you've been having bladder spasms. Ask your urologist about Oxybutynin or similar drug (Vesicare, Enablex, Sanctura, Toviaz, Detrol, or generic equivalents to help quiet the spasms and reduce leaking.

Possibly going to the 16Fr will help too.

Many of us who have suprapubic catheters use Vetericyn. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...to-Dr-Young%29

All the best,
    GJ

Definitely seems like spasms are triggering the leakage, and the size 14fr isn't helping.

Little late to the topic;
    I've had my supra pubic for about 13 years. Was started with a 22fr and it's what I still use today. The site around the tube(stoma) is cleaned morning and night with an alcohol wipe with a little neosporin on it. This works for me and my Urologist has always said my sp looks better than any he's ever seen. I drink plenty of water. In the time I've had my sp, I've never had a UTI. *KNOCKS ON WOOD*